Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 123862

Default 123862

Morning Gents,
    Got a bobbed Krag, former prop gun, faint marks from a front barrel band, and turned down at the muzzle for a bayonet. Curious if someone would check the books on it?
    1898 #123862
    Thanks!

What I find on the net is it is a 99 model with just short of 104000 made in that serial number range
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

How is it "bobbed", maybe the gun used to shot rabid dog in "Kill a Mocking Bird"! hehe.
    You can never go home again.

104000? Does that mean they were not numbered sequentially?

Edit: Doh! An hour later and a little Dr Bombay and I at last understand that you're saying that there were 104000 produced starting with the last serial number from 1898.
    Last edited by Jackrabbitslim; 09-01-2015 at 03:24.

Well, looks like you have a pretty good example of a Krag rifle that has "evolved" to the carbine configuration, which is perfect for that gun and caliber. Don't take it too seriously, take it to the range and/or hunting.

Good luck!

jn

Thanks Jon,
    Was under no illusions that a $200 beat to hell carbine was the ticket to early retirement!

'jackrabbitslim' - The mounting of the front-sight base on the barrel gives this one away as not being original Springfield Armory work. A Krag carbine (and rifle) front sight base is almost invisibly dove-tailed and brazed into place (no ridges, lumps or bumps).

It would be interesting to see some detailed photos of your rear sight. There could be a gem hiding there.

Here is a photo of a 'movie prop' Krag and a photo of a Krag model 1899 front sight.

gunga din 3.jpgkrag'99-blade.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    What I find on the net is it is a 99 model with just short of 104000 made in that serial number range
    No, it is not an 1899 Model - those started in the low 220000 range. and are all so marked. That is either an 1898 carbine (serial number is possible) or a cut-off Model 1898 Rifle, which was once fitted up with full stock as a "school gun". The turned muzzle allows the fitting of a bayonet. The stock - whose date does not match the serial number - has been cut back so that the whole thing resembles a carbine. The rear sight appears to be a 1902C, which is a fairly scarce version. All that said, it looks to be in nice condition, and is WELL worth $200.

I'm guessing that your serial number data came from the Bowers LLC site? That info, at least in the Krag section, is seriously flawed.

10. Default

Gentlemen,
    Thank you for your insight!