Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Serial Number / model year ???

Howdy friends,
    Just had a person contact me regarding a Krag they want to sell. I have no idea where they got my name or e-mail but what they have seems interesting though they dont say carbine or rifle.
    In trying to help them figure out what they have I checked the serial number in my POYER book.
    They said its a model 1896, serial number 16025N ??
    My book says that is a model 1894??
    Also, dont know what the "N" means.
    Any help would be appreciated???
    Thanks

My guess is that the N isn't an N. Unless it's a 94 that someone added the N to, and that's not easy after the receiver is hardened. If it's something other than an N, it ought to be a model 98.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 08-31-2015 at 05:51.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Any chance we could see a picture of the receiver showing the markings (Model and Serial)? Also some pictures of the entire Krag would be helpful in making a determination as to correctness and value.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I am trying to get a photo.
    As always, thanks for the help.
    Am I correct in that serial number is from 1894??
    Thanks

Brad: Your post throws a curve at everyone because there is No Letter in U.S. Krag serial numbers.

16025 started out as a Model 1892 rifle

If the "N" is a number (like "X") the rifle is a Model 1898 rifle.

Simple as that ...
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Brad - this is getting silly about the number(s) - there is another way to solve the "mystery".

Look at the receiver, and stock, around the root of the bolt. Is there a flared bevel in the wood and a "U" shaped ring of metal at the bottom of the cutout, or does the bolt simply sit in a square notch?

Thanks guys for all the input.
    My delema is now that my, in aparently all of yours interest is arroused. The person that e-mailed me "out of the blue" wont return my messages??
    I had mentioned to them that if altered "cut-off" any value is probably greatly effected.
    Well, I havnt heard back. Must have been the case.
    But thanks all.
    PS, I am still looking for a decent "REAL" carbine if anyone kows where I might find something.
    Not real sure just what I can afford right now. But I changed my focus to all Springfields and I do not yet have a Krag Carbine.
    Got a great rifle 762 S/N. Would that be a 92??

Yes, #762 would be a very early M1892 rifle. Is it unaltered, or has it been brought up to M1896 spec - most were.

'Brad' - The unsolicited e-mail must have been about one of those Nigerian Krags. That is what the "N" stood for!
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 09-02-2015 at 09:21.