Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Trip to the range.

Went to Sac Valley Shooting Center a few weeks back to check zero on my rifles and to try out some handloads for the vintage military silhouette match next week.

I usually shoot either a Persian or an '09 Argentine Mauser that were d&t'd by the previous owners. I ended up putting Bushnell 10x40 3200 scopes on them.

Both rifles did well. I used the 300 yard range and started at 220 yards (200 meters), to get a good zero for the chickens.

After a few scope corrections, the Argentine did pretty well with handloads @ 200 meters...

The Persian wasn't quite as good as the Argentine at 200 meters

But made up for it by shooting a smaller group at 300 yards than it did at 220...

I also took my son's K31 to shoot some handloads in it. It doesn't have a scope, and the stock is a little beaten up, but it shoots well.

200 yard military match target @200 meters

...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

That's pretty decent shooting, there. It always surprises shooters that these old milsurps are often more accurate than their high dollar RemWinBy. I do think that the 8x57 likes a somewhat fast-burning powder - I use 4895 in mine. It's also interesting when you think about all the fuss that has been made over free-floating barrels and how that is the only way to build an accurate rifle.

jn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    That's pretty decent shooting, there. It always surprises shooters that these old milsurps are often more accurate than their high dollar RemWinBy. I do think that the 8x57 likes a somewhat fast-burning powder - I use 4895 in mine. It's also interesting when you think about all the fuss that has been made over free-floating barrels and how that is the only way to build an accurate rifle.

jn
    I think a lot of the reason the old milsurps do better is because the RemWinBy guy all want a featherweight barrel, preferably fluted.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post

jn
    Thanks, jon

I agree about the faster burning powders...I use IMR 4064 in my 8x57's and have been pleased with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I think a lot of the reason the old milsurps do better is because the RemWinBy guy all want a featherweight barrel, preferably fluted.
    There is truth in that, but the old military barrels are fairly narrow profiles also.

My old WW2 German infantry rifle in 8mmx57 kicks like a mule. Love it tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    My old WW2 German infantry rifle in 8mmx57 kicks like a mule. Love it tho.
    I had a 98K that someone had bubba'd the stock in attempt to sporterize it. It kick also like a mule. However, I had an old shotgun recoil pad laying around and since the stock was already cut down.........I put that recoil pad on it. Tamed that rifle right down. Using surplus 8 MM ammo, I used it as a plinker. Shoot a 100 or so rounds out of it in a day was a normal days plinking at an old trash pit where we used to shoot many moons ago. Wish I had never sold it. If I find another may try to recreate it.
    Last edited by usmc69; 08-31-2015 at 03:11.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

Re: K-98 kick. Yep! That thing does rear up a bit! With 8mm heavy ball, it is impressive on both ends! Behind the buttplate recoil can be grim after about 100 rounds have been fired. One the other end I can say by experience that if you are firing standard ball at a target nailed to a large pine... say 30-32 inches in diameter, you will soon punch a hole all the way through said tree... and that if you happen to be standing around later drinking a Coke, you may get to watch it fall down. Who'd of thought it?!!! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

8. Default

My sons and I shoot in the monthly vintage military silhouette match at Sacramento Valley Shooting Center. My reloads consist of a 200 gr Nosler Custom Competition and a fairly stiff load of IMR 4064. The recoil is stout, but I appreciate the knock down power at 550 yards on those 60 lb Rams. I haven't "rang" a ram yet with it.

Here is a pic of the range...

Blog Entries

That looks like a great range!!
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    That looks like a great range!!
    Sacramento Valley Shooting Center is one of the best in California...everything from 25 yard pistol to 1000 yard rifle ranges...and most things in between.

Aerial view:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=38....=h&form=LMLTCC