Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 25 yd or meters

I remember they said it wouldn't matter at 200 yards. Mosto f us got on first try.

"Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
    know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George in NH View Post
    Before the shift to meters from yards, the Army fired on the "thousand inch" range on a scaled silhouette target. Done properly, this method zeroed the rifle at 300 yards. Of course the sight picture must remain the same as when zeroing so the bullet impact would be the same for a center of mass hit at 300. With the move to metrics, targets became the "25 meter zeroing target" with the same effect in establishing a zero at 300 meters. All of this relates to the arc of the round above the line of sight either at 25 yards/meters and a center of mass hit at 300 yards/meters. Being an avid collector of all things US military weapon wise, I have a small grouping of "reduced" targets dating to either the 1920's or 30's (can't remember which at the moment). If I can find the time, I will take pics of the various targets and post to my profile page. On another note, I am probably one of the few people around that has a roll of 25 LR (long range or decimal), 1,000 yard targets in my basement including a box of 50 two part repair centers. I do hope to make use of these targets sometime before I die! I do have access to a 1,000 yard (measured) range on private property but there are no pits. The idea is to build a two target pit for 1,000. All that is needed is time and effort. Wish me luck!! George in NH
    Here are a few.

http://www.bobrohrer.com/sea_stories...on_courses.pdf
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur