Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 yd or meters

Default 25 yd or meters

Greetings:

Second attempt at a post.

It's all well and good that you got a copy of the *official* 25meter target (1000 inch) iron sights zero target. But what if your public/private range is set for yards?

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ba...tory-chart.php on-line trajectory calculator.

You can add/remove table entries so you can convert the 25meter info to a 25yard zero, and verse visa.

For example: .30-06 150gr @ muzzle velocity of 2800fps

25yds -0.68 drop (23 meters) -1.72cm drop

Aguila 7.62mm 150gr 2750fps

25yds (23m) -0.66in drop -1.68cm drop

you can change any table entry or zero range, and best of all, you can save the chart locally, cut n paste and print out the table and stick it in the box of your reloads for ref.

Just a silly thought.

RHB

ps: the calculations probably are off, so set up your own calculation chart entries before you play.

25 meters vs 25 yards is a difference of about 2 yards. I don't see any reason to worry about 2 yards more or less.

Like Major Tom says, your rifle won't know the difference. 25 meters is 27.3 yards. On a private range you 'set' the distances.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Blog Entries

25 yards is a get it on paper range. If you want to shoot 25 yard or meter targets, get a .22 LR target rifle and stand on your hind legs.
    Last edited by PhillipM; 08-26-2015 at 01:30.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

FWIW: 1 Meter = 1.09361 Yard... 25 Meters = 27.34025 Yards... 100 Meters = 109.361 Yards
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

only wussies give a sh1t
    "I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I can put a round up a flea's ass at 200 meters."

Ah another Goo opinion. 8-) Say Goo you'e better get some pennicilan for that napalm pissing. Couple shots in the ass will cleat it up! 8-)

And he needs a better apatite!

"I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I can put a round up a flea's ass at 200 meters."

Before the shift to meters from yards, the Army fired on the "thousand inch" range on a scaled silhouette target. Done properly, this method zeroed the rifle at 300 yards. Of course the sight picture must remain the same as when zeroing so the bullet impact would be the same for a center of mass hit at 300. With the move to metrics, targets became the "25 meter zeroing target" with the same effect in establishing a zero at 300 meters. All of this relates to the arc of the round above the line of sight either at 25 yards/meters and a center of mass hit at 300 yards/meters. Being an avid collector of all things US military weapon wise, I have a small grouping of "reduced" targets dating to either the 1920's or 30's (can't remember which at the moment). If I can find the time, I will take pics of the various targets and post to my profile page. On another note, I am probably one of the few people around that has a roll of 25 LR (long range or decimal), 1,000 yard targets in my basement including a box of 50 two part repair centers. I do hope to make use of these targets sometime before I die! I do have access to a 1,000 yard (measured) range on private property but there are no pits. The idea is to build a two target pit for 1,000. All that is needed is time and effort. Wish me luck!! George in NH