Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Tinned Ammo"

Default "Tinned Ammo"

Found myself in the Kittery (Maine) Trading Post last week; a man was looking to sell a bunch of stuff and there were quite a number of unopened new condition boxes of Krag ammo (FA). One of the boxes was opened and it contained ammo with tinned cartridge cases. I remember reading an old "Rifleman" many decades ago about this ammo but of course, the old squash cannot pull out what I read. I am sure many of you can help my memory. TIA!! George in NH

Tinning of the Cal 45 (45-70 & 45-55) ammunition started in 1888 and continued with the Cal 30 (30-40) until 1900 when it was stopped. The original purpose was to decrease the reaction between the powder and mercuric primer and the brass case. The use of smokeless powder and a non-mercuric primer solved both of these concerns.

Hows about posting some pictures of the ammo? I'd like to see em...
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

4. Default

Here is a good read by our Major Dick Culver on the subject.

http://www.jouster.com/sea_stories/w...ed_history.pdf

Richard Turner - Thanks for noting Major Dick Culver's writing on the 1921 "Tin Can" .30-06 ammo, with its tin-plated projectiles.

However, this is a different story than the tin-plating of .45-70 and .30-40 cartridge cases by Frankford Arsenal, in an attempt to improve 'ammunition/case-life'.

F 5-98 1.JPGF 5-98 2.JPG

(It would be fun to see pictures of "new condition, unopened boxes" of this ammo).
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 08-24-2015 at 08:00.

The tin on the bullets in the "tin can" cartridges was applied by a process different than the tinned cases from earlier times, and for a different purpose.

Tinned bullets and cases have been used ever since 1888 are still being used today for certain applications where immediate identification is necessary - High Pressure Test cartridges, for example.

Here are the cartridges that started it all. 45-70-500 Rifle and 45-55-405 Carbine (on the right).

Last edited by raymeketa; 08-24-2015 at 09:04.

7. Default

Thanks for the update, wasn't sure if it was the same process of not. I do remember speaking with Dick about the "Tin Can" ammo since I had acquired a hundred or so rounds in the mid-eighties. Dick made me aware of the problem and advised that I sell it or keep it as a collectible.

Does the tin plated case create any problem as far as the chamber goes?

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    Richard Turner - Thanks for noting Major Dick Culver's writing on the 1921 "Tin Can" .30-06 ammo, with its tin-plated projectiles.

However, this is a different story than the tin-plating of .45-70 and .30-40 cartridge cases by Frankford Arsenal, in an attempt to improve 'ammunition/case-life'.

F 5-98 1.JPGF 5-98 2.JPG

(It would be fun to see pictures of "new condition, unopened boxes" of this ammo).

The 1921 "tin can" bullets were electro-plated. The bullet was manufactured to a diameter of .3079" and the tin plating measured .0003" making the finished bullet .3085". Tinned cases (and later bullets) used a chemical plating process that resulted in a very thin coating of tin, more of a stannic stain than a plate. So, there was no adverse effect from that process.

The very first Cal .30 Ball M2 bullets were stannic stained in order to ID them from the M1 bullets which were gilding metal in color. The first Cal .30 M1906 bullets were Cupronickel jacketed which some often confuse with tin plating.

For those that may wonder what the 'tin can" ammo looks like in real life, here's one next to an early stannic stained M2 as shown above.

'raymeketa' - Thanks for sharing great pics and knowledge!