Thread: Peters 30USG

Default Peters 30USG

I picked up some Krag brass simply for reloading. I'm always on the lookout.

Was getting ready to tumble it when I noticed the headstamp: Peters over 30USG which clearly stands for US Government. Do you suppose this is pre-30-06 or do you think maybe Krag was labeled 30USG and 30-06 was labeled 30-06 back when this brass was made?
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Default Peters headstamp

Remington purchased the Peters cartridge Co in the early 1930's, Peters loaded a lot of military cartridges
    for England &Attachment 32048Attachment 32049 Russia during WW1 ( and others too)

Here is a Peters headstamp on some US 44 caliber cartridges

so my brass must pre-date the purchase by Remington in the 30's? I grew up with Remington-Peters ammo, I wonder if it is still marketed that way or simply marketed as Remington? It has been a while since I purchased ammo.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Peters used their own commercial headstamps long after the company was purchased by Remington. It was not until 1960 that the R-P headstamp was introduced.
    Last edited by raymeketa; 08-20-2015 at 09:43.

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure early 3006 was marked 30 Gov't 06 or 30 G 1906. In other words, I think 1906 is referenced somehow on all the early rounds. Krag was also known as 30 US Army or 30 Army.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur