Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Good War by Studs Turkel, which came out in '84, has a lot of oral history snippets in it from all kinds of people, including support troops that never got near the front.
    Last edited by togor; 01-03-2019 at 06:26.

2. Default

"Death Traps" by Belton Y. Cooper. Talks about his experiences as an maintenance officer in the 3rd Armored Division.

A decent read and some good tales by an F-105 crew chief. I know the man who authored this, a decent curmudgeonly type, IMO.

CREW CHIEF, "be he ne'er so vile" , by William Buzz Barron.

LINK:
    https://www.amazon.com/CREW-CHIEF-ne.../dp/152297573X

I have read it, and have given copies to my son (coincidentally a crew chief nowadays) and my jarhead pilot nephew.

Tommy

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Here in a MI town there is a dispute going on having to do with a law involving veteran rights, the city consul is maintaining that if vet was not in combat he is not a veteran!
    Does not involve me but I was sent into a 'combat zone for 5 months but was never 'in combat', so I must be in limbo!
    That person is huffing paint straight from the can.
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

Another crew chief book is 'Flying Tiger, a crew chiefs story' by Frank Losonsky. He was in the first group in the AVG and is a pretty good read. Short book (~100 pages) but many great photos.

It is too bad that there is so little about the rear area forces. My father was in canon company 110 of the 28th Division. I have read every book I can find on the 28th and there is hardly any mention of the cannon company's attached . There were 3.
    I do have a firing log from the 204th Field Artillery Battalion. The log begins on 12 July 1944 and ends on 8 May 1945. I contacted the Army History unit in Pennsylvania and they had no interest in getting it. Kind of a shame.