Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CMP Getting These??

Remaining Government Stock of WWII M1911’s Handguns to Be Sold Off to The Public…..

NEWS
    Aug 17, 2015

LPB1-Z-F2-H

The upcoming National Defense Authorization Act that passed committee includes a plan to transfer the U.S. Army’s remaining stock of .45 ACP 1911A1 pistols to the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

Added as an amendment by Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Alabama, while the NDAA was in debate in the House Armed Service Committee, it could see potentially the largest remaining stock of military surplus World War II-era handguns in government hands sold to the public.

“As a gun owner and strong believer in the Second Amendment, my proposal is a common-sense approach to eliminating an unnecessary cost to the Federal government while allowing the very capable CMP to handle the sale of these vintage firearms that otherwise would just sit in storage,” Rogers said in a statement.

The lawmaker disclosed that the military currently spends about $2 per year to store 100,000 Model 1911s that are surplus to the Army’s needs. While 8,300 have been sold or disposed of in recent years – largely through the controversial Department of Defense’s 1033 Program, which offers eligible law enforcement agencies up to one pistol per full-time officer – the guns still on hand have in many cases been stored since the 1980s when they were withdrawn from service in favor of the then-new Beretta 92F (M9).

The amendment would authorize the CMP, currently just limited to selling .30-caliber and .22-caliber rifles, to receive and sell any surplus military firearm. It would not cover any surplus 1911s held by other branches such as the Navy and Air Force, or those that may linger in federal law enforcement service. The Army guns are stored at the Anniston Army Depot, in a district which Roger’s represents and is coincidentally co-located to the CMP’s regional warehouse and store, which would minimize the logistics of a transfer.

“This amendment is a win – win for the taxpayer. I was pleased the amendment passed the committee and appreciate the support my colleagues on this proposal,” Rogers said.

The CMP is a federally chartered non-profit corporation tasked with promoting firearms safety training and rifle practice. It originated as the Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship in 1903 under orders from Congress to improve the country’s marksmanship skills to minimize training in case of war. Split off from the U.S. Army under the Clinton-administration in 1996, it still conducts training courses and holds shooting competitions nationwide but draws its primary source of funding through the sale of surplus firearms to qualifying members of the public which were donated to the organization by the Army.

However, the CMPs stocks of surplus arms are diminishing.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

Sure would be nice to see Navy and Air Force 1911's added and going to the CMP as well. You can be sure that bathhouse Barry and his crew will run anything like that through Capt. crunch the first chance he gets. Would be a terrible waste destroying something taxpayers bought and have a hundred years of history behind them.
    Chris

Well the CMP will probably set the price at least a thousand bucks! Anyone want to bet?

Dave, I don't know about $1000, but I remember reading somewhere in the CMP's charter is a provision that calls for selling prices to be something like " fair market value " My high numbered IHC that I got for $165 20+ years ago they would be selling much higher price today. I still think selling off 1911's through the CMP is a big win for all of us, regardless of where they set the selling prices. You can be sure they would be headed to the smelters if Obama had his way. I understand that the DCM sold many of these off somewhere in the 1950's. DCM proceeded the CMP. Don't think I'd mind investing some serious money into one of these 1911's and taking the chance, being able to pass one on to the grandkids for the future. It's fair to say my CMP IHC has proved to be a great investment over the years, worth at least ten times the $165 I paid, someday I'd expect most of these 1911's to appreciate the same way. I think it's a big win for us. One thing you can be sure of, when they do start selling them to us, there will be a long line of us waiting our turn to get one.
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris W.; 08-20-2015 at 03:51.

Didn't the news say it had passed committee? That leaves a ways to go before the CMP starts selling them.

The DCM was selling military handguns in the 1960's until LBJ put a stop to that in 1968. The price they were selling them for was way below market value at the time. The new in the box Remington Rands were $17.

I still have the Remington my Dad got from DCM and, yes, I can remember the $17 sale price. We had gotten an 03A3 before the .45 came through.Dad complained the government had equipped the NG in Japan before fulfilling the requests from Americans. Maybe there won't be foreign competition for these remaining pistols. I doubt if the WH will ever stand for these to be sold. I can see protest lines forming around Anniston when sales start.

Is this going to be only Army guns? What about the USMC, are they keeping theirs?

Blog Entries

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

On Tuesday, a poster called WrightFlyer posted the following information over on the CMP site.

H.R.1735 - National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016 passed the House on May 15th. The bill included SEC. 1085. AUTHORIZATION OF TRANSFER OF SURPLUS FIREARMS TO CORPORATION FOR THE PROMOTION OF RIFLE PRACTICE AND FIREARMS SAFETY. That section was subsequently stripped out of the Senate's version which passed on June 18th. The House subsequently moved to disagree to the Senate amendment and requested a conference. As of July 10th additional conferees from the House Committee on the Judiciary were added to the conference committee to consider section 1085 (and others).

Remember, this is just one item out of hundreds that need a resolution. All we can do is sit back and wait.

You can check for any updates at https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ouse-bill/1735 referring to the "Text" and "Actions" tabs.

Nobody knows yet what the congress will ultimately do, but the link at least provides access to a reliable source of information.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

I had one of those Rem., new direct from the DCM. Box had been opened and spare mag removed. Sold it years later for 35 bucks.
    I would love to get another but am afraid I just will not be able to pay what they will ask, now that I am retired! And average "market value" is probably 1000 bucks now.
    Last edited by dave; 08-21-2015 at 08:28.