Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cool OK-so now

He has to step up and perform--maybe he can do well at the rifle qual.--that's what got me over the edge--I was then made a
    (house mouse) Slave where I had to prep the DI's gear..

2. Default

Recently got another letter, and seems to be pretty tough. Last couple of days have been rough, platoon punished because of him, so he says. He says he feels like Gomer. He has never been a quitter, so he will make it through. We have been pondering what would be a proper graduation gift. Any ideas?

3. Default

Well, over 1/2 way there now. Seems to be actually enjoying boot camp. Letters are positive, and is excelling at everything thrown his way, even though it is difficult. Just got the latest news, and surprise, qualified as expert on the range. I guess some of the work we did here helped, but I have to give credit to the recruiters who were very diligent in prepping all of them for boot camp. Looking forward to graduation.

Well I bought my son a gift. However he said that me and the wife driving 14 hours to his graduation and spending the weekend with him was all he cared about. W ehave been fortunate as we got to go to about half his events. If you can pull it off go.

5. Default

We live about 5 hours driving time from Parris Island, so not a bad drive. Never been to any kind of military base, looking forward to it. His younger brothers are pretty excited about it, and I know missing a couple of days of school doesn't hurt!

My trip was to Benning different branch same topic. The graduation was very well done, and was impressive. The only ceremony that trumped it was when Jr got his Ranger Tab. During both ceremonies I was allowed to place items on Jr's uniform (Blue Infantry Badge/Ranger Tab). Hopefully the Corps allows family participation to as it was a very rewarding experience. Regardless congratulations to you and yours. He is setting a great example for his younger siblings.

Our grandson, a little guy 6'4", expressed a desire to join the Ohio State Patrol a couple years ago. He trained and applied shortly after that. He went through the back round check, physical test and lie detector with flying colors. He was accepted as a recruit in a class of 40+. He started his six month schooling and training the 30th of Sept. Not my choice for a career for him but he considered all the hazards and stayed the course. Makes me proud!

8. Default

Well, just to update the post. He graduated, along with 87 others in his platoon. Home now for 10 days of leave, than off to Combat training school. He looks good! Impressive and well done ceremony. Very well organized by the Marines. I was impressed at the smoothness of it all, and was impressed by how clean the base was. Every detail just looked like it was well taken care of. I even saw recruits cleaning/polishing bells in front of a building. Once again, very nice!

Congratulations!, both to your son and to you and your family. Boot prepared him for the road ahead, schools will give him the tools he needs, then the real adventure begins. By the end of four years, he'll likely have seen and done more of real significance than most of today's young men will see and do in a lifetime.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

10. Default

give your son a Semper Fi from an old Marine. The experience of boot camp and being a Marine is something that will always be with him. He earned the title, it was not given to him. And may the Lord keep him and the others safe.

VN '68-69 0331