Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default First Letter from Son at Parris Island

I do not post here, since I did not serve, but like to read the posts. Well, my oldest son went off a week ago to USMC boot camp, and we got our first letter. It was just a form letter from the Gunnery Sgt, with the boots address. They were allowed to write a short note on the letter. His said, "It's terrible, but in high morale". I know he will make it through though. Once he makes it through, sounds like he will feel invincible!

Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

3. Default

Thanks!

Congratulations, you must have done a good job raising that boy. We sent our oldest son off to Navy boot camp about seven years ago. When we drove out to GL for his graduation we hardly recognized him. He was half a foot taller, his back was ramrod straight, muscles like steel, and he radiated a confidence and pride we'd never seen before. He's career Navy now and is still every bit as fit and, if anything, even more self-confident than he was on graduation day.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Our best to him.

I think you're gonna be surprised by the young man you get back from Parris Island. Friends of the wife had a son go there. I almost didn't recognize him when he came to visit upon his return. The soft, skinny dweeb was now a buff self confident young man. Amazing transformation.

Keep us posted!

Well done. Thank you for sharing.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

7. Default

Appreciate all of the good wishes. I think he will do well. He went to all of the physical training sessions, twice a week, that the recruiters offered, for 7 months. We saw a change just from that. He has been responsible for the most part. I told him that he needs to take us out to the range when he gets back and teach us how to shoot the Marine way. His younger siblings miss him, but they are excited to go to graduation at Parris Island, just like we parents are!

Default back to the future

DECEMBER 1959

That was when I became a USMC grad--56 years ago--one of the greatest days of my life--your son will never forget the day he gets to pin on the Eagle Globe and Anchor--

I have to say the proudest day of my life was the day I earned my EGA. I served five years and still consider it the best time of my life.

With that being said, now that I have two sons, I don't know how I feel about them joining. They are 3 and 6 and I'm pretty attached to them.

10. Default

We finally received his first real letter, written by him. He had a lot to say, and seems ok. He let us know that it is extremely hard, and many of the guys are depressed, but emphasized that his spirits and morale are very high. He emphasized to us to keep praying for him and to send him letters; that is what keeps them going. Said the food was very good and high quality, and I am surprised, since he was always a picky eater. Did mention that the meanist DI knows him by name, and has singled him out now numerous times. I don't know if that is good or bad! Anyway, it was great to hear from him.