Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Winchester build for 49th anniversary.

Just put together a rifle using one of James River/Bula receivers with the original Winchester heel. This is very close to what I used in RVN in 1967.
    Bula bolt and trigger group.
    Criterion SAKO NM medium weight copy
    Rest of the parts are from one of my CMP A Winchester kits from past.
    Stock is USGI again from CMP 35 dollar stock.
    Took her out for a test fire after build. Without changing a thing, point of aim = point of impact at 100yds with rear sight bottomed out and rear sight centered.
    Bula trigger has nice take up and very sharp 2nd stage release.
    My day has been made.

Semper Fi
    Art
    Last edited by nf1e; 08-18-2015 at 12:38.

2. Default

Looks nice Art but is the rear handguard clip snapped down all the way? Start collecting those OM mags.

Looks great!! Congrats!!
    "In God We Trust"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil McGrath View Post
    Looks nice Art but is the rear handguard clip snapped down all the way? Start collecting those OM mags.
    It is now. Thanks for noticing Phil. I had it off a number of times to relieve the stock contact just before the photos.

great fotografs!
    "I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I can put a round up a flea's ass at 200 meters."

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Just put together a rifle using one of James River/Bula receivers with the original Winchester heel. This is very close to what I used in RVN in 1967.
    Bula bolt and trigger group.
    Criterion SAKO NM medium weight copy
    Rest of the parts are from one of my CMP A Winchester kits from past.
    Stock is USGI again from CMP 35 dollar stock.
    Took her out for a test fire after build. Without changing a thing, point of aim = point of impact at 100yds with rear sight bottomed out and rear sight centered.
    Bula trigger has nice take up and very sharp 2nd stage release.
    My day has been made.

Semper Fi
    Art
    How did they integrate the Winchester heel??? Is it welded on??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John L. Lucci View Post
    How did they integrate the Winchester heel??? Is it welded on??
    That is correct and this all has the ATF's blessing. The real serial number is on a receiver leg, along with James River on the right side.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

An absolute beauty.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 08-27-2015 at 05:11.

I looked at James River website and did not find any info on how to order such a receiver. Do you mind telling us the price of having a reciever made like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    I looked at James River website and did not find any info on how to order such a receiver. Do you mind telling us the price of having a reciever made like that?
    It was less than a grand for the receiver. I understand that they may not do any more. There were a few of the typical complainers that seemed to think these should be perfect with no trace of the weld. Then if it wouldn't go together like an AR, the moaning started. You know the story of the internet. It takes a hundred folks saying nice things to make up for one negative nincompoop. Personally, I enjoy a little fitting here and there. Makes me feel like I have done something. Just over 300 rnds through Macaroni so far and not a problem one. I congratulate James River Armory and Mark for a job well done. They are appreciated by most that have seen one.

Semper Fi
    Art

Semper Fi
    Art