Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weaver K4 60-B

It would be really nice if we could find more pictures of the rifles themselves. I know I've been studying them hard for a year now trying to find as many pictures as I can find. Other than the model 70 and M1D from this time period, you just can't find any pics.

Heck I've been trying to find one pic of a MC1952 and I cannot find one actual picture taken while in service. And I have never seen a pic of a 1903A4 in the Marines past Korea.

I've tried some really weird sources too, thinking I might run across something. But it's just something you do not see for whatever reason.

Anyone else having any better luck?

I was able to get the serial numbers of the !903A3s that the Marines converted to A4s as well as the serial numbers of the a4s there, I also looked at and recorded the serial numbers and condition of the M1Cs. Everything was handled with white gloves on your hands. At that time they did not have a Kollmorgen for their display and a friend of mine lent one to them. They did have 6 or more Unertls that they showed me. It took me a little over 6 months to get permission to get into Bldg. 2121 and probably would not have happened with out the help of a retired Lt Col. friend. Just a quick note on the Kollmorgen, The gentleman that worked for Kollmorgen and designed the Clicker Knobs for on the Bear Cub lives in Northern Va. and he is a wealth of knowledge on it. i talked to him a number of times and he still has the original drawing he did on the design. Quite interesting to look at.

Jeff P, I PM'd you. I think you and I are chasing many of the same cats.

I would welcome the opportunity to talk to you and exchange info.

Until I see a Tech Manual that specifically states the Weaver B scope is authorized, I will never believe they were approved for use on the A3. There is to much wishful thinking that is stated as fact on this subject.

jeff p, sent you a pm

Default K4 60B

A few years ago at an Austin gun show a friend showed me his Fathers documented Vietnam Nam bring backs. One was an 03A4 with a K4 60B. I was very heavy into A4's at the time and remember it well.

7. Default

Interesting thread on the Weaver K4 60-B!

Is there a "Tech Manual that specifically states the Weaver B scope is authorized" on the M1D? Obviously, there are Military M1D 1 inch mounts. And the Military has sold surplus 1 inch M1D mounts with K4 60-B scopes. Is the use of the K4 60-B covered in a Tech Manual for any weapon system?

Best Regards,

8. Default

If the 03A4 was never used, why the 1970 publication of a new Field Manual for it? It is an Army pub, so maybe the Marines no longer had any - or didn't care about the publication - and just "used what they had" as Marines have always had to do.

If the Weaver K4 60-B was a Vietnam era addition, it might have came too late to be included in any Springfield M1903 Manual - the last 03 manual was published in 1970 - for the M1903A4 - and the M84 was the expected "standard" scope by "the System". That does not mean a quantity of Weavers was not purchased and used to cover a shortage "in country", quickly - or by specific request. Uncle Sam bought a LOT of stuff from everybody during Vietnam - needed or not - that was placed "in inventory". My question would be, if that is so, was there ever a National Stock Number issued to this scope? When? Or a contract number in the same time period to Weaver?

And a local unit still could have done it - off the regular Ordnance books. If we could establish how many US Sniper rifles exist as DOCUMENTED bring backs with this scope (owner's testimony would be helpful, if not definitive) - even two or three - from Vietnam - it would seem to prove they were done that way, during a shooting war - and are Real. The FBI reportedly had some Weaver K4 equipped M1903A4s - maybe they have some transfer documentation from the military. CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 06-19-2016 at 08:28.
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

9. Default

The photo attached is of an A4 with Weaver scope that, IIRC, came with Bring Back papers from Vietnam. Story, as I recall, was that the US provided ARVN with a number of A4s with Weaver scopes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Default

C'mon guys, if you can't document something, then its pure speculation.

There are issued scopes on sniper rifles and then there are fantasy sniper rifles as seen
    at CMP vintage sniper matches with civilian scopes.

Lets not be Clintons and change reality to fit an agenda.