Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weaver K4 60-B

Default Weaver K4 60-B

Whats the no BS story on the Weaver K4 60-B, I see claims that they were used as sniper scopes? If some were how were they identified? Did they have any special features, post, crosshare, serial numbers etc?
    Thanks,

Read fbi used them on their a4's for a stint in the 70's

I Have an email in my data from a collector who observed M1903A4 Sn 4996846 (Quantico Inventory No. #890772) that reportedly bore a Weaver K460B.

I have one more A4 in my data that supposedly was returned from Vietnam with a K460B. However i have multiple entries for this rifle and the details have tended to vary so ?????...

Ok, so it was a case by case usage thing and not necessarily a contracted use, for lack of a better term (they simply "could" have used them). LOL I'll bet there's a few ebay sellers that will argue the facts.
    I stumbled across a beautiful A3 that is all original, barrel, finish and all even a Boyt 43 sling. It passed through Ogden but was untouched (open OG stamp). Now I believe the OG stamp theore, if a rifle arrived with no need of work it got the OG and was sent along. The barrel still gages new and matches the reciever........ but bubba installed a K4 60B, pulled the front sight and turned the bolt handle. Well, he did an ok job but ruined a pristine rifle. I don't think it was shot much because it's still got cosmo in all the low spots.
    Anyhow, thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Randy A View Post
    Whats the no BS story on the Weaver K4 60-B, I see claims that they were used as sniper scopes? If some were how were they identified? Did they have any special features, post, crosshare, serial numbers etc?
    Thanks,
    Randy A,

A few years back the DCM sold 1" M1D mounts with K4 60B scopes (most came with the Weaver grey lens caps). Was told the Army used them.?

Not sure about the features---but, have not examined one with serial numbers.

Best Regards,
    Last edited by stan4; 09-01-2015 at 10:51.

6. Default

A small number of M1D sniper rifles with Weaver K4 60B scopes were sold by the CMP some years ago. There is little doubt that these scopes were used on M1D's. The area of contention has to do with their use on M1903A4 rifles. I personally believe that they were used but in a very limited quantity. I have found no documentation that such a configuration was standardized so without documentation, there will be contention. Rick

I was able to visit Building 2121 at the Quanitico Marine base and in their inventory are 2 M1Ds with Weaver K4 60B scopes. The first was serial number SA 1932769, K4 60B with a post and crosshair, the second was SA 4304417, K4 60B with post and crosshair. There was also 6 1903A4s with K4 60Bs all with post and crosshairs. I hope this helps.

8. Default

Jeff,

The armorers may have installed those scope on a4's because they had the scopes on hand ,not because it was a standard scope for the A4. Same for a Kollmorgen scope. Two years ago,I talked to Maj.Jim Land USMC sniper expert and he categorically said the Weaver K4 and Kollmorgen were not used on any USMC 03A4's in Korean or Viet Nam wars.

There are two standards happening in any conversation on this. First is what CMP says is legal for their vintage sniper match. Second is what was issued and type standard for a military issued sniper rifle.

You can surmise, deduce, guess, propose any answer here. If Weavers were used, it was not formally an approved standard issue scope for the A4. You can also add the Kollmorgen scopes and ART scopes to the mix.

What is lacking and would be greatly appreciated is a war time Viet Nam era photo of a 03A4 with non standard scope on it. That would conclusively end discussion .

I really don't care what anyone puts on their 03A4 but if its a sniper match, fantasy scoped rifles ought not be competing against legitimate 03A4 with military type issued standard scopes . You shoot an A4 with K4 Weaver on it and beat me with my 03A4 and Lyman Alaskan... CMP may say that is Kosher but the ethics of that stink. 4x Weaver fantasy scoped A4 beats a A4 with 2.5 power original scope and what we have here is Bravo Sierra
    Last edited by BlitzKrieg; 10-14-2015 at 06:00.

I can understand your point of view on the Weaver K4 used in a match against your Lyman, but all I was bring to light was what was in the inventory at Quanitico. I know Maj. Land also he has gotten some of the scopes for his collection from me. My USMC Unertl came from him in a trade for some of my scopes. I also have talked to him about the use and he said the same thing to me. All I wanted to do is let people know what I saw there.

10. Default

I am told there is a 03A4 with the K4 scope on it , displayed at USMC museum.

I intend to go look and see i f that is factual.If its there, I will ask to see the curator and
    attempt to find out some history of the rifle. Since I live near base, I will go see BLDG 2121
    and attempt to get more history on that sighting of A4's with Weaver K4 scopes.

I'd love to validate the K4 or the Kollmorgen Bear Cub as officially used by the military on the 03A4. For me, I got to get something that has some sticking power historically as fact. Right now, I only have suspicions and they don't count.
    Last edited by BlitzKrieg; 10-21-2015 at 01:53.