Default Gewehr 98 original stock finish?

I have an all matching Gewehr 98 full rifle. I was wondering if anyone knows what the Germans originally used for a stock finish?

Probably an oil finish which was pretty standard. According to documents quoted in Laws book that is what they used on WW11 K98k walnut stocks.

This is a ww1 rifle. So, do you think it was also finished with oil? Do you think it was Linseed oil or some other oil?
    Last edited by DaveL; 08-17-2015 at 11:18.

No one knows for sure but I think raw linseed oil is the best choice.

Thanks Mike. I just happen to have some of that combustible stuff. :-) Sure does take a long time to dry!

That is why so called 'boiled linseed oil' should be used, it is not really boiled but has drying agents in it that help it to dry. Sill should wait a day, minimum, to let it dry, first coat or three will soak in and seem dry quickly but as it builds up it will take longer. It should be hand rubbed until your hand starts to get warm, really warm, with each coat. There is no advantage in using 'raw' oil and negative is long dry time!
    Germans may not have used linseed but the only other choice I know of would be Tung oil. Long dry time with that and finished job cannot be told from Linseed.
    And yes you have to watch those oily rags, with any of it. When I was young I once set a waste basket on fire. They need air or heat will build up

Thanks for the info Dave. I am aware of the differences and dangers of raw and boiled linseed oils. I have used both many times. Here are a couple pics of a stock on an old Remington "auto loading shotgun" (predecessor to the model 11 auto) that I used raw linseed oil on. I rubbed in 10 or 12 coats last fall and it took until last month before it didn't feel sticky. But I think it came out fairly well.
    000_0103.jpg000_0104.jpg

Later in the war they skipped the finish. I have a 1918-dated Turkish contract G98 with wood straight from the lumberyard! It was European Beech .. the grain had popped out maybe a 32nd of an inch.

did I sand and finish it? You bet! With BLO to a hard shell finsh. It just gleams.

jn
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 08-23-2015 at 12:50.