Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default something neat found in old medford MA armory.

was posted on another forum I haunt, figure you 1903 buffs would enjoy. Building is about 15-20 mins from me. Found on the wall, in the stairwell between the basement and 1st floor, it's Corporal Perry Schofield's world record target from 1910. He hit 116 consecutive bull's eyes at 500 yards. The previous record was 60 consecutive. 114 holes counted (2 were apparently "sighters"). The Target B bull's eye is 20" across. He used a Springfield 1903.

Beautiful building, thanks
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

I remember when I was a kid, 1974 time frame or so, there were always jeeps or other mil vehicles parked on the Mystic River Parkway side of the Armory that drew my attention whenever we passed by.

It really is a beautiful building. I think its condos now. The front door and entrance are massive. I see these old armories in towns these days either abandoned or repurposed. You couldnt build these structures today the cost of labor, skills, material would be too high....Progress?
    Last edited by pmclaine; 08-16-2015 at 04:07.

Jeez! That young man could shoot!

Really!!! I wonder how long it took in time to shoot all those rounds. He had to be really tired out by the end.

I wonder if this record still stands today?

Sometimes it is the bow, but it needed a willing and able Indian...

http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...mp-perry-1921/

http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf...hy/tro-073.pdf
    Last edited by pmclaine; 08-16-2015 at 08:21.

That's the 1000 yards using a scope. 500 yards iron sights still monumental. That record still stands today
    Last edited by Embalmer; 08-16-2015 at 08:39.

That is an amazing accomplishment. I cannot imagine shooting 116 rounds straight from a straight grip 03 and living to tell about it.! Those straight grip stocks bruised the face and the steel buttstock hurt the shoulder.

You can see why they had to add a V ring, how do you break a tie when someone can shoot over 100 shots into the bull? Must have taken over an hour to shoot that string.

This is a 500 yard 5V target.

This was the old NRA 500 yard target over the 5V. Around the beginning of the 1960's, the 5V target was no longer able to discriminate between who should win or not. One year at the National Matches the number two shooter was done by one point but had 78% more V's than the first place shooter. Obviously the number two guy was a tighter holder, somehow had one shot puffed out, and lost the National Championships. The target was changed eventually to the NRA decimal. This 500 yard target had a 12 inch ten ring, same as the 600 yard target. The 600 yard target had one more black ring.

10. Default

Mr Farr shot his 1000 yard record using irons though competing against a scope. He cleaned his twenty shots and for giggles they let him continue, and he continued to score bullseye until the light failed him.

...and I agree Mr Schofields feat was and still is monumental.

I think next time I shoot 600 at Fort Devens I'll bring an 03 and my "Mike" for fun.
    Last edited by pmclaine; 08-16-2015 at 06:00.