Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Handstamped US on 1949 Model 70 National Match

Hey I picked up a 1949 National Match Model 70. It has a handstamped US on the receiver. Anyone ever seen one like that before? All I've seen are electropenciled.

2. Default

WoW, what a find, any pictures .?
    Were can I look, any advice Please !

john d.kopke, USCG 1961/1967 Bay of Pigs Yacht Club Member.

This is the rifle. I think I might have been wrong on the date. I'm finding a couple different dates when I look up the serials in different places online. But It might be a 1951.

But I don't know what to think about it. The guy selling it was a true gentleman and priced it at a price that was very fair. When I asked the history, he told me he picked it up a long time ago from a Marine Gunny. But he did not know anymore history than that.

All the Model 70's I've seen are electropenciled US property, and none I have seen are hand-stamped. But I do know for example the Marines have hand stamp some receivers U.S. The Remington 700 receivers past the very first production M40's are handstamped U.S. by Marine Armorers. Now, whether this was stamped by the Marines, or another branch, or by Bubba in his garage, I have no idea.

I did find some serials that were close to this one that seem to have a military past.

159435 Van Orden sniper
    159509 Van Orden sniper
    159520 Lt. Col. Roettinger and Col. Jordan's Rifle USMCR (They were on the Marine Shooting team)
    159584 **This NM above**
    162489 Van Orden Sniper

I just don't know what to think on this. I guess Bubba could have stamped in his Garage, but I do know the miltiary was buying NM model 70's about this time for the rifle teams. So it might be feasible.

Last edited by cplnorton; 08-16-2015 at 10:38.

4. Default

I don't know what it is, but as usual with your last purchases I'd love to call them my own! Congratulations, looks really great!

5. Default

CplNorton';
    My observation, The U.S. was not struck evenly, and the S. is upside down.
    I do not know what is the norm.
    Beautiful Rifle, Congratulations!
    john d.kopke

6. Default

Beautiful rifle, how does it shoot?

Rule's book "The Rifleman's Rifle" indicates your SN was made in 1950 (the 1950 range was 131,581 to 173,150). Table 7-11 shows that whether in NM configuration, Target Model or Bull model (all in '06 with 24" bbl), the rear sight was a Lyman 48WH (at least for the civilian market). Not sure how the rear sight could/may have been changed for the military (and I don't know them enough to ID the one on your rifle).

Enjoy it,
    Steve

Blog Entries

is the butt pad correct? would think it would not be a recoil absorbing type or even a white line type,

but I am no way near an expert

Default M70 NM

This USN rifle was purchased by a dealer who bought a lot of 12 Model 70 rifles. Also without any US stamp caliber is 30-06P1010020_0020.jpgP1010033_0027.jpgP1010023_0023.jpgP1010022_0022.jpg

9. Default

Model 70 NM

Your rifle is , as you probably know, is a post war National Match. The NM M70 is simply the M70 sporter barreled action installed in a Marksman stock to comply with NRA rules (later eliminated) limiting the weight of a match rifle to 10 # or less Originally the pre war M70's came with "stippling" on the receiver ring and the receiver bridge (which was not D&T) for scope mounts). It had the "cloverleaf" tang and a bolt with a high bolt handle base and a difficult to use safety with a scope installed. The original NM was equipped with the Lyman 48WH receiver sight and the 17AHB front target sight in the ramp. The NM barrel was the standard sporter barrel and had the standard front ramp. That combination of sights was not really good for the comb of the stock was too high.
    The M70 underwent several changes post-WWII. The cloverleaf tang was present on some early post war rifles, but was later changed to the flat configuration used today. The root of the bolt handled was trimmed down for use with a telescopic sight and the M70 safety was modified to the present configuration . The "stippling "disappeared along with the clip slots in all but the 30-06 NM version and all 30-06 target versions. Pre-war M70's ,with the exception of the Magnums and possibly the Hornet, all had clip slots. Post WWII- clip slots were eliminated in all but the NM in 30-06. I have seen post war NM's in calibers other than 30-06 and they had no clip slots. After WWII NRA rules called for match rifles to be in 30-06 caliber only. After adoption of the 7.62/.308 by the army, the 7.62 round was authorized. The rear sight on your NM M70 is a later version, circa 1960 or later, and was special order for $2.00 more than the standard version for the extra long slide. The front sight was changed to the Lyman 77R with AK base. The standard steel butt plate on your rifle has been replaced by a rubber recoil pad. The Marksman stock was about one or one and a half inches too long for use by the average individual shooting Rapid Fire . Target shooters usually shortened them by this amount. The original steel but plate was curved and difficult to fit, so shooters just replaced the butt plate on the shortened stock with a recoil pad. I shortened all of mine but just straightened the but plate and used it on all of my rifles except my 300 H&H Bull Gun.
    Post WWII, the army fielded two rifle teams, one equipped with the bolt rifle and the other with the Service rifle(M1). Prior to the establishment of the AMU(circa 1956), various commands would, using appropriated funds, purchase NM M70's and hand stamp them "U.S.". The hand stamped used had an "S" that was slightly different for the top of the "S" but could easily be used upside down. I believe that is what happen to your rifle. There is another possible explanation. The W&R could have purchased the rifle for issue in the welfare and rec program.
    In the 1960's a decree was issued that all service teams would use the Service rifles. I have heard that this was instigated by a group of high power shooters known as the Hard Holders, but do not know this to be a fact.
    FWIW
    Last edited by Cosine26; 11-16-2015 at 08:42.

Great info Cosine. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It is very much appreciated!