Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arisaka action test

Hybrid View

I actually saw a rifle that was re-chambered to 30-06 on Between two fairly good gunsmiths on a Saturday after work-- The same old argument was made that the 7.7 case was too wide at the head and if re-chambered to 30-06 you would get a case head failure- So the next week I was at a local range in carpetersville Illinois and these two fellows were there with a Japanese rfle re-chambered to 30-06 The guy that rechambered it fired the rifle , he spun around and fell flat on his back-- The told you so's were flying around but the rifle was intact aand had no damage- Seems the one guy had re-chambered a Arisaka in 6.5 caliber instead of 7.7 !! See what a few cans of beer can do for you-- Wonder where that rifle is now, when this happened in the late 197-'s you could buy all the jap rifles you wanted for $10-00=$15.00 wach !

You are correct. If you want it to group. You will need the .311 bullets. 7.7JAP is basically identical to .303 and needs the larger diameter (correct diameter) bullets. Not a fault of the gun, but a fault of reloaders who don't fully understand how it works.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Amen to that!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

The US paid royalties to Germany into WW1 on each 03 rifle that was made. This also happened in WW2 but for other things like a non corrosive compound for primers. This money went into a fund kept by the government and was turned over at the end of the war.

Wonder why? We just nationalized the Bayer Company, did we pay for that after the war?
    The money for the magazine infringement was a lump sum, it must have been the 2-3 cents a clip that went on for awhile.
    Last edited by dave; 08-06-2016 at 05:05.
    You can never go home again.

6. Default

All this in a discussion over Arisakas? Point of Order please! Get your history lesson on the proper forum.
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

7. Default

Point of Order please!
    Question: Has anyone ever removed the barrel from a Japanese receiver? Has anyone on this forum ever seen a stripped down Japanese receiver? If the Japanese receiver is the strongest in the world it has to have something else going for it than the front receiver ring.

F. Guffey

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    Question: Has anyone ever removed the barrel from a Japanese receiver? Has anyone on this forum ever seen a stripped down Japanese receiver? If the Japanese receiver is the strongest in the world it has to have something else going for it than the front receiver ring.

F. Guffey
    I will assume no one has ever removed the barrel from the Type 38 receiver. I had plans that included removing a shotout barrel and replacing it with one of the most powerful chambers ever designed; and then, I changed my mind. I went with the M1917 and then I wanted a 308 Norma Mag; again, I went with the M1917 again. I have three Japanese receivers with bolts. If I was going to build something that required a stout receiver I would use one of my Mausers or P14s or one of my M1917s and then there are my 03A3s.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 08-17-2016 at 04:39. Reason: change u to o

a summary of P.O. Ackley's findings. On the 6.5mm type 38 Arisaka and other actions
    http://dutchman.rebooty.com/temp/Ackley.pdf

Interesting reading. Thanks very much for posting
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo