Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Wonder why? We just nationalized the Bayer Company, did we pay for that after the war?
    The money for the magazine infringement was a lump sum, it must have been the 2-3 cents a clip that went on for awhile.
    Last edited by dave; 08-06-2016 at 05:05.
    You can never go home again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Springfield is a Mauser design, but of a 1893 model, the 'Spanish Mauser'. The us Gov't was sued and lost, paid Mauser much money, even tho they made changes that they thought would not infringe. Why do you think the Portugal rifle is called a Vergeuse-Mauser? (sp?)
    Myth that the US Govt was sued and lost. Crozier instigated the whole thing and invited representatives from Mauser over and they worked things out, no dramatcs.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    Myth that the US Govt was sued and lost. Crozier instigated the whole thing and invited representatives from Mauser over and they worked things out, no dramatics.
    And then Springfield swore they never saw a 98, the 98 had had the 3rd safety lug, the best any other manufacturer could do was use the bolt handle as a form of safety lug. when the 03 made its appearance, there is was, a 3rd lug setting in front if the rear receiver ring. That caused a problem with the height of the rear receiver ring. For me it is my favorite feature of the 03. I use the 3rd lug when determining case head clearance or the length of the chamber with a head space gage.

The gap was always there and Springfield nor Hatcher could figure a use for it.

Then there was that junket Springfeild went on when looking for a rifle and design. They could have had a Mauser or for all the money the spent they could have closed Springfield Armory and hired John Browning; instead they came home with a rifles with a bolt with one lug. It was not necessary to build the rifle with one lug but Springfield could not figure out how to build it with 2 lugs so they decided it only needed one, no other manufacturer of rifles decided one was enough but Springfield (did). Like the British with the 303 in the Orange Free states, the soldier suffered, theirs in South Africa and ours in Cuba.

F. Guffey

4. Default

All this in a discussion over Arisakas? Point of Order please! Get your history lesson on the proper forum.
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

5. Default

Point of Order please!
    Question: Has anyone ever removed the barrel from a Japanese receiver? Has anyone on this forum ever seen a stripped down Japanese receiver? If the Japanese receiver is the strongest in the world it has to have something else going for it than the front receiver ring.

F. Guffey

a summary of P.O. Ackley's findings. On the 6.5mm type 38 Arisaka and other actions
    http://dutchman.rebooty.com/temp/Ackley.pdf

Interesting reading. Thanks very much for posting
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    Question: Has anyone ever removed the barrel from a Japanese receiver? Has anyone on this forum ever seen a stripped down Japanese receiver? If the Japanese receiver is the strongest in the world it has to have something else going for it than the front receiver ring.

F. Guffey
    I will assume no one has ever removed the barrel from the Type 38 receiver. I had plans that included removing a shotout barrel and replacing it with one of the most powerful chambers ever designed; and then, I changed my mind. I went with the M1917 and then I wanted a 308 Norma Mag; again, I went with the M1917 again. I have three Japanese receivers with bolts. If I was going to build something that required a stout receiver I would use one of my Mausers or P14s or one of my M1917s and then there are my 03A3s.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 08-17-2016 at 04:39. Reason: change u to o

9. Default

I'm sure you already know the Arisaka has a bigger bore than most 30.06s hence the 7.7 designation rather than 7.62.
    Steve
    Last edited by S.B.; 03-11-2017 at 05:33.
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

10. Default

If you can find a copy of. ' Ordnance goes Up Front' by gunsmith, shooter , and Army armorer and. ordnance man. Roy Dunlap. VERY informative and a great read. You might find it on Amazon.