Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Default Arisaka action test

A few weeks back I was looking up converting 7.7 to 30-06 information as I was given one . And came across an article that said a known gun magazine writer had tested the Mauser , 1917, and Arisaka actions . Arisaka winning . Tried to find it , and now can't find it to save my butt . Anyone here can verify this and who did this test ? Thank you , Kenneth

I've never seen anything about that... but the Arisaka is well known to have one of the strongest actions made. It's not necessarily the smoothest operating, but it sure stands up as far as the metallurgy goes.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Believe it was MGEN Julian Hatcher who conducted the test you're referring to.

Tests on samples of Arisaka rifles conducted after the war showed that their bolts and receivers were constructed of carbon steel "similar to SAE steel grade No. 1085 with a carbon content of 0.80% to 0.90%, and a manganese content of 0.60% to 0.90%." During destructive tests, the Arisakas were shown to be stronger than the M1903 Springfield, Lee–Enfield, and Mauser rifles.

See this article with footnotes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arisaka

I remember that article. They tried to blow up an Arisaka and FAILED!

5. Default

Thanks , believe you hit the nail on the head . Also found where American Rifleman did an article on some fellow who rechambered the 6.5 to 30-06 and was complaining of excessive recoil , wonder why ? Sarcasm intended there . Memory is short at times and don't rightly remember why the NRA took possession of it , curiosity maybe . A statement was made that the recovered bullets looked weird , that was probally an understatement . Bet that pressure was off the chart , but no more than the one they put a steel rod in and welded shut , seems the action held on that one too , if I remember right .
    Had an Arisaka several years ago that was rechambered to 30-06 , it had one of the old scopes on it that had the windage and elevation done by adjusting the rings . It would shoot clover leafs at 100 yards occasionally . One of those you wish you hadn't sold .
    The one just given too me is a shame , someone ruined what would have been a nice collectable at one time d&teed it right through the crysanthyium , spelling might be a touch off there . I understand these where rare . Anyway , I'm going to scope it eventually and see what she does , hopefully it will be another shooter . Kenneth

I have that Rifleman article someplace. If I recall correctly, a bullet was rammed into the chamber end of the barrel. Live rounds were then fired one after the other, leaving a number of bullets jammed in the barrel. I believe that neither the Arisaka or M1917 actions blew, but the headspace got set so far back that eventually neither would fire, thus ending the testing.

Quote Originally Posted by aintright View Post
    . . . . Also found where American Rifleman did an article on some fellow who rechambered the 6.5 to 30-06 and was complaining of excessive recoil , wonder why ? Sarcasm intended there . . . . . .
    Yup . . . .See AR, May, 1959, page 52. --Jim

8. Default

The famous gunsmith, P.O. Ackley, also conducted some action tests and the Arisaka did well in those tests also. I will post a link to the tests if I can find it.

So about 80 low number '03's blow up, some known to have been fired with 8m/m and a lot of people condemn them to the gun cabinet, but the Arisaka is the strongest action by virtue of a test of one or two rifles? Hmmm!
    Last edited by dave; 08-13-2015 at 09:43.