Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
    You can never get your money out of an incorrect gun. If you could buy it for $350, that's a deal. Othewise...
    Well , that is usually true .
    However , Benny offered to buy my " incorrect " corrected 520-30 for the $475 I have in it , so....
    The '97 I have already got my money back ...in fun . No worries about harming the value shooting it like an original mint one .
    Ever shot " Grenade Trap " ? Go to the high power rifle range with target butts ( or similar ) . Set up the clay throwers down in the pits ( may have to set them off the ground on barrels ) and have the trap guy up against the berm where it's safe . Line the shooters up on the shooting side of the berm and have at it . Trenchguns and buckshot only . No pellets in the berm allowed . If you have several clay throwers going at once , it can sound like , well , a war .
    Chris

2. Default

As noted, I see a number of issues with this shotgun. It is a shame, that in the current collecting market, new collectors are being led astray by unscrupulous sellers representing put together guns as "original examples", and because there are so few truly original and correct guns being offered, they buy them. You should do your homework BEFORE you make the purchase, not after you have sent payment and the item is on the way to you. My recommendation on this particular shotgun would have been to keep the $1500 in your pocket, continue to save, and buy a real gun when the opportunity presented itself.

Just for kicks, when you separate the barrel from the receiver, how many *** do you see?
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

Well I do not think you were completely screwed. With the value of combat shotguns slowly on the climb I think you will be able to recoup most if not all your money in the future. It is a nice placeholder that actually has history. Look at the imported Chinese model 97 trench they use to be 200 or 300 now on gunbroker I have seen them go from 450 to 600 and that is nothing but a cheap fake. You have the bones to start with and IF the numbers match you will have no problem getting your money back. That being said the real heatshields are few and far between. The 68XXX serial # like others have said should not have flutes. The hard part about shotgun collecting is what is right what is wrong. The manufactures used what was on hand. Both my 520-30 & 620 riots have checkered stocks and one has a checkered forearm. These are matching guns and lower on the serial number range. Good luck on your collecting. Lots of different shotgun configurations out there and variations on receivers. Remington model 11 came in three shot (sportsman) and five shot (model 11) configuration and it goes on and on. I am up to 12 and have another 3 or 5 that I want. It never ends and that makes me happy. Sorry to be a long poster
    Last edited by 67rebelsst; 08-06-2015 at 07:08.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
    As noted, I see a number of issues with this shotgun.
    Look...I'm admittedly ignorant on these things. I'm happy to accept negative opinions, but I'm hoping for constructive information that would accompany this. Any new issues not listed previously? All serial numbers including barrel assembly look honest and matching which I verified before sending payment. The way I see it, I'm a couple of pieces of wood and a fence from 'correct'. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Benny the Jet; 08-06-2015 at 10:11.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 67rebelsst View Post
    Sorry to be a long poster
    Not at all, I appreciate it. Numbers match which I did verify, as noted previously, before payment. I really do appreciate the thoughts and opinions. This is my first combat shotgun purchase and I am learning quite a bit from it. Not being completely screwed is good enough for now. I'm glad I have a real gun here and the bones are good. This gun isn't being sold anytime soon and last time I checked they aren't making these anymore. I'm happy with my purchase despite some of the negatives.

Thanks for the knowledge and experience from those that have posted.
    Last edited by Benny the Jet; 08-06-2015 at 07:36.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by emmagee1917 View Post
    Well , that is usually true .
    However , Benny offered to buy my " incorrect " corrected 520-30 for the $475 I have in it , so....
    The '97 I have already got my money back ...in fun . No worries about harming the value shooting it like an original mint one .
    Ever shot " Grenade Trap " ? Go to the high power rifle range with target butts ( or similar ) . Set up the clay throwers down in the pits ( may have to set them off the ground on barrels ) and have the trap guy up against the berm where it's safe . Line the shooters up on the shooting side of the berm and have at it . Trenchguns and buckshot only . No pellets in the berm allowed . If you have several clay throwers going at once , it can sound like , well , a war .
    Chris
    I'm in for both grenade trap and buckshot only rules. Sounds like fun...but I'm going to opt for eyes/ears.