Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this?

1. Default

A pinfire has to have a slot in the cylinder for the "pin" to stick up through, and the hammer comes down on top of this pin.

The U.S. military called their revolvers pistols until the auto pistol came out, and then depending on which design, they were revolvers or pistols.

There is another revolver design called a "teat fire". The cartridges are inserted from the front of the cylinder and a small, tubular extension containing the priming compound protrudes through the rear of the cylinder. Single action with a spur trigger. The cartridge extension with the priming compound is crushed by the hammer.

We have one of this type in the family made by the Moore Revolver Co and reportedly carried by distant relative in his duties as an NYPD patrolman in late 1800's.

I've got a Moore teat fire.. this isn't one of them...
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Pistol generally mean semi-auto, its a revolver. More pics, markings, would certainly help. It is a cartridge gun, so post 1870?, unless it defied the S&W patent, does look foreign.
    Smokey is correct. It is a pistol. You have auto pistols, revolver pistols, etc. A pistol is a hand held firearm.

jt

If large caliber, I think it is a French Devisme
    Last edited by keith smart; 10-01-2015 at 09:10.

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

I believe Keith Smart has nailed it:

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/devism...44-caliber.htm
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!