Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Joe DeChristopher RIP

Thank you Tom Pearce for bringing this to our attention

Joseph J. DeChristopher

posted 13 hours ago August 3rd, 2015

Joseph J. DeChristopher, a resident of Pipersville, passed away suddenly Friday, July 31, 2015, from injuries sustained in an automobile accident. He was 79.
    Joseph was the husband of Mary DeChristopher.
    Born in Philadelphia, Joseph was a son of the late Eugene and Marion DeChristopher.
    When Joseph was young, he was a trained as an auto mechanic. He then was employed for eight years by the Philadelphia Police Department where he served under Mayor Tate's security detail. Since 1955, Joseph ran a successful antique military and classic automobile parts company that he and his grandson still ran. Joseph was an authority on historical U.S. military arms and had been acknowledged in several books on the subject.
    He was life member of the Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society where he served as president for many years. He was also a Freemason.
    In addition to his wife, Joseph is survived by a daughter DanaMarie Stewart (David Jr.; a son, Joseph Jr. (Sharon); four grandchildren, David III, Ian, Joseph III, and Alison; four great-grandchildren, Sierra, Emma, Schuyler and Isabelle; and a sister, Joan Buechner.
    A gathering celebrating Joseph's life will be held at 12 noon, Wednesday, Aug. 5, at the Shelly Funeral Home, Easton and Keller's Church Roads, Plumsteadville, where the family will greet friends 11 a.m. until the time of service.
    In lieu of flowers, please visit the website www.psta.org/troopers.php to send a donation for Troopers helping Troopers for the Pennsylvania State Police.

Damn, I sure bought a lot of parts from him over the years. Real gentleman.

That's very sad news. I too had bought from him, and even had the pleasure of actually meeting him in 1992. I was in the East on business, and planned to meet up with the late Frank Mallory - we wound up at the Allentown show (lucky timing on the weekend) where he introduced me to Joe, as well as the late Burt Kellerstedt - who had probably THE finest SA collection ever assembled. You think I have amassed a lot? My assortment is child's play compared to his.

Joe was even kind enough to acknowledge having heard of me when we met - I was flabbergasted.

He will be missed!

4. Default

I never met the man. He will surely be missed. RIP Joe.

5. Default

I have done business with Mr. DeChristopher a few time. He was very helpful, explaining what I really needed. A very knowledgeable and courteous gentleman.

6. Default

Nooooooooooooooooooo! I was about to send off an email to order some things from him. I bought Krag parts from him in the past for my 1894.
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

Living in east Pa, I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to him several times at local gun shows. He was very helpful with any questions I had, and somewhere I have several of his catalogs which he sent out about 15 years ago. He will be missed.

Sad news for sure!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Unfortunately I never met Mr. DeChristopher in person. Scott Duff recommended him to me saying that he wasn't the cheapest but everything he sold was absolutely as advertised and he'd never try to slide a repro past you. I only ordered from him a few times but he was a hoot on the phone and every piece I bought was exactly what he said it was.
    Last edited by Art; 08-04-2015 at 04:33.

I first met Joe DeChristopher while he was working in the W.Stokes Kirk store in Germantown, Pa. in 1968. I was only 16 years old at that time. I was only a kid then, and everything was there to see in that store. I went in with a list of what I wanted, and I still have most of what I bought to this day. I always took the time to speak with Joe if he was at the Allentown, Pa. show or Pottstown, Pa. or even Stratford, Ct. He was always outgoing, and we would talk about minor details of Krag parts or anything he had knowledge about. Over the years I bought his catalogs of gun parts and militaria, and still have them to this day too. They are as much fun to look through as the Bannerman catalog. His departure from this world is very said news to me, as I must have spent an hour just visiting with him at the last Allentown show less than a month ago. Though I only knew him from gun shows, and mail ordering parts over the years, I feel I've lost someone I had great respect for due to his knowledge of things. I've lost a good friend. I will miss him.