Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

well got to work cleaning 70 year old ddried duct tape residue off my m1 ammo chest... lot of people said will probably have to be bead blasted and painted (still could go this route, as did like way the M1A1 chest for the 1919 came out...

anyways. can after peeling the old tape and label off... gonna need more beer..

3 hours of go off, swearing, meticulous picking slowly away with a flat head, more swearing, and a case and half of yuengling up to about 94%...

also show off more mags that arrived... including 5 mint blued WWI mags

Nice BAR article in the AR magazine that arrived today, saving my lunch money...

well ended up restoring the bar can as the residue bacome too much to get off, and took paint of the latch. Bead blasted to bare metal, used original paint palets, and luckily found a guy with an original pre wwii stencil cutter to replicate the stenciles for me on oilboard.

came out nice.

m1a1 can for 1919 finished..

bar ammo chest m1

How did you apply the paint? Very nice job...

Exact wwii paint colors avaliable in spray can, including red zinc primer.

Cool

Isn't that magazine can for use on a half track?
    I've got 2 M1918A2 BARs, both are Korean War mfg so I had to change the flash hidder to make them look WW 2.
    I have a variety of accessories, but have never taken photos of them.
    Here they are with their little brothers.
    Sarge
    US FAs.JPG
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Isn't that magazine can for use on a half track?
    I've got 2 M1918A2 BARs, both are Korean War mfg so I had to change the flash hidder to make them look WW 2.
    I have a variety of accessories, but have never taken photos of them.
    Here they are with their little brothers.
    Sarge
    US FAs.JPG
    was implemented in 30's I believe, to be used with cavalry bar gunners. originally mounted on saddle frames for horses and donkey's. then vehicles in early wwii before being disused. same with the 1917/1919a4 M1A1 can. Got it cause its a rare and expensive accessory to find today (almost 2 years to find one not rusted out, or run over by a tank.)

My 1918A3 arrived today, and what a piece of workmanship! Built like a battleship, everything is massive and very nicely machined, amazing. I thought the M1 was heavy...

What do you use as a reference for those small technical details (lower swivel, bolt color, ...)? I am happy with mine as is, but might consider some of those changes later. Will be a few weeks till I can go to the range, but can't wait. Found some PDF copies of field and maintenance manuals on this site:

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/ligh...tic-rifle-bar/