Default M-1D in Vietnam in HD

Here is a cell phone shot of the M-1Dimage.jpgimage.jpg

Although this is in "An Endless War 1968-1969" I think it is much earlier because everyone else has M -14s. They look like Marines. (No high viz US ARMY and name tags). Ed Kugler, in his book DEAD CENTER, recalls that the USMC offered the M-1D to snipers but it wasn't popular due to accuracy issues.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 07-29-2015 at 07:54.

Yeah the M1D and Model 70 were the main sniper rifles at the beginning of the war for the Marines. The weird thing is you hear a lot about the D and not the C. Even though the Marines had the MC1952 with the Kollmorgen scope that was a 100 times better than the m84. I always wondered the correlation there on why.

There was an article in the Oct 1966 Guns and Ammo entitled "The Snipers of Danang". Rifles depicted included the M1D and various Winchester Model 70 rifles w/ Unertl and some other scopes. Strangely no mention of the USMC M1952.

The article was unsigned (possibly written by USMC PR staff??) a number of the Snipers officers and support staff are mentioned by name.

And the weird thing too. I don't know if I have ever seen a picture of a MC1952 in service. I know there is a manual on the Stith Kollmorgen scope and I've seen two or three pics of the D in Marine hands, but never seen one of a MC1952.

Anyone seen one before?
    Last edited by cplnorton; 07-30-2015 at 04:31.

First week of Feb. 1968 I saw two scoped M1's from the arms room at MACV/SOG Kontum brought over to our section of the wire to deal with a mortar but they didn't do as well as our un-scoped M14's. I don't recall what type of scopes were mounted. I think the rage was just over 500 yards.
    "Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
    know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn