1. Default M1 Winchester question

I posted this on another forum, however I have been disappointed with the lack of information pertaining to Winchester M1's there. Hoping to get some help here.

I need to understand the difference between the first & second bolts used in the Winchester M1. There is a 'step' referred to in the later bolt vs 'no-step' in the earlier. How will I be able to tell the difference.

Thank you!

The no-step bolts were used for most of Winchester production. The stepped bolts came very late in production.

I don't think anyone knows the exact time they switched but the general consensus is very late 1944, around 2,500,000, and including all WIN-13s, until the end of production,

They were also used as replacement bolts.

Look at the right lug that engages the operating rod. the first picture is early no step. Second late with step.
    A No Step.jpgA With Step.jpg

I just picked up a 1.32 mil WRA SG at CMP North Store and it has a bolt D 28287 1-WRA with the step. Bolt looks more blued than parked.

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    I just picked up a 1.32 mil WRA SG at CMP North Store and it has a bolt D 28287 1-WRA with the step. Bolt looks more blued than parked.
    Could be that it still has its original dulite finish on it.
    Jon