Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

It is a diamond in the rough....the vast majority of the $$$ expensive parts are there. Stocks are not expensive, put a Lyman Alaskan on it or an M84 with the correct rings and bands and bingo, a rebuilt A4 worth a ton more than what it is now. My lightly used A4 is 4212 away from this one. Good hunting parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    The scant stock came about as a shortage of stock blanks large enough have a pistol grip. Straight stock blanks were run on a C stock duplicating machine, and the tiny grip was the result. All other dimensions are the same as the C Type stock.

+1 Also to the stock used on the M1903A4 rifle was actually designated "STOCK, M1903A1" The drawing for the "Stock, M1903A1" illustrates that two profiles were furnished , the full pistol grip ("C"style) and the scant pistol grip. As Johnny points out whether a stock came out with the full grip or the scant grip depended on the amount of wood in the blank. (See Clark Campbell 2003)

The USMC made their request for M1903A4's in early 1944 at about the same time when most A4 production was being equipped with 2 groove barrels and contractor supplied scant stocks. I suspect any tinkering with bedding and trigger pull was done in post war years.
    Last edited by jgaynor; 07-26-2015 at 08:00.

3. Default

so I did some more research and my Dad left the Marines in 63-64 and the gun has been in our family since then. I can't verify that the gun was issued to him, but he did use it while in the Marines, as he told me the gun was extremely accurate.

Zadmat, out of morbid curiosity. Does your's have a punch mark in the flat part of the rail like this?

punch mark is a targeted mark..
    punch mark on the bottom of the barrel, under were the front sight is , air gauge marking
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

I have a open box SA rebuild A4 that doesn't have the punch mark on the rail, that is why I'm sort of curious what is on Zadmat's rifle.

have a few match rifles and USMC rifles {not A4} ... with the punch mark
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

I'll tell you why I'm curious if Zadmat's is the same. My A4 that I posted here a couple weeks back, that never saw a rebuild and has like a 4ME barrel, has that punch mark on the rail. In fact that is the pic above I just posted of it. The stock also has the 6 oclock bed done like the Unertl/team rifles. And the handguard is even milled out on the inside. Then the trigger is about 3lbs and very crisp.

Serial is wedged into a nice USMC block too. And there are a couple more traits that make me think it's USMC as well that I have only seen on other USMC rifles, but i'm still doing research on those and I don't want to say them in public forum.

But here is the SRS

3418258A4 020390USMC FIELD MUSEUM QUANTICO

***3419099*** My serial of my rifle.

3419379 0129476TH ARMY
    3419658A4 020390USMC FIELD MUSEUM QUANTICO
    3419836A4 020390USMC FIELD MUSEUM QUANTICO[/QUOTE]

Last edited by cplnorton; 07-28-2015 at 09:40.

Any SRS info on 3419477? I'll post pictures of the rifle later. I bought it from the son of a man who bought it from the DCM in the 1960's. I have the original sales receipt. It was sold without the scope. What is the proper scope for this serial number?

My SRS information is about 7 or 8 years old perhaps a current subscriber can help. Nothing in my data.
    The original scope would most likely have been an M73B1 - the second model with stamped nomenclature and Weaver name and address on the data plate.