Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Remington 03a3 sniper

My father gave me a Remington 03A3 a few years ago and I recently started researching it as he has passed and is no longer around to fill in some blanks. It has a scope mounted on it and missing the front sight. It is all green parkerized except for the scope rings and scope. The stock has been cut and it I guess is what is called sporterized. He was in the USMC and was issued this gun while he was in at the end of the Korean war and he was an officer. He told me when h e got out he was given his gun and made it sound as if he probably shouldn't have been allowed to have it. He got out in late 50's i believe and never really used the gun it sat in the gun case for years. I did see him shoot it a couple of times and those were rare as it was while hunting something he rarely did and did it to take me as i wanted to go. I received the gun from him about 20 years ago and it sat in my gun cases or safe for almost the whole time, i took it hunting a couple of times and only shot it while i was sighting it in those few times, maybe 20 rounds through it and that was due to it being to accurate it only took a few shots to realize it didn't need it. This gun is extremely accurate and my father cherished the gun for that fact and he was right at 100 yds my shots were almost always toughing each other everytime I sighted it. So since he is gone I started to wonder why he cherished it. From research I have done it appears the serial number falls within the limited production in 1943 by Remington as the model number is 3415588 and barrel stamped 8 43. I have posted pictures. There is nothing wrong with rifle besides the stock and scope from what i can tell. What is it worth now? Is it worth restoring? Anyone know where I can get the original stock and scope?

It maybe better to sell to someone whom has the parts I need due to the fact the stock and scope appear to be very rare that have the right markings. Appreciate any thoughts or insight even to the rifle itself.20150720_212247_resized.jpg20150719_072433_resized_1 (1).jpg20150720_164039_resized_4 (1).jpg20150720_164329_resized_2.jpg20150720_164357_resized_2.jpg
    Last edited by Zadmat; 07-21-2015 at 03:50.

The rifle was actually an 03-A4, but the receivers were marked 03-A3 in case they were ever used for a standard rifle. The rifle has been through rebuild, and as you noted the stock has been heavily modified. It would be expensive to restore it to it's original configuration, but considering that it was your father's rifle it would certainly be worth expense.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    The rifle was actually an 03-A4, but the receivers were marked 03-A3 in case they were ever used for a standard rifle. The rifle has been through rebuild, and as you noted the stock has been heavily modified. It would be expensive to restore it to it's original configuration, but considering that it was your father's rifle it would certainly be worth expense.
    thanks for the response and I am starting to wonder do I want to get it back to original, as my father didn't want it that way and is why it looks like it does today. The other thing is which I never considered would putting the gun in a different stock somehow affect its accuracy, it is extremely accurate?

Blog Entries

You should really search through his things to see if the original scope is stashed away somewhere.

Very nice find, thank you for sharing.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by Zadmat View Post
    thanks for the response and I am starting to wonder do I want to get it back to original, as my father didn't want it that way and is why it looks like it does today. The other thing is which I never considered would putting the gun in a different stock somehow affect its accuracy, it is extremely accurate?
    At the time it was sold it was just another old military rifle, and little interest in preserving it's history. All that has changed today, and considering your request for information in restoring the rifle your view on the rifle has changed also.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    You should really search through his things to see if the original scope is stashed away somewhere.

Very nice find, thank you for sharing.
    Well my father got remarried about 40 years ago and if it wasn't for him giving the gun to me a number of years ago, I never would have gotten it. When he died nothing was given to us, it was all given the kids he had with his new wife, I mean I got nothing, not even a medal of his. So I don't think he had anything else anyway as I said before he wasn't collector and he would have thrown out the scope. I am sure he got an ear full back then giving the gun to me, he had one other gun and gave that to my step brother, that was a side by side.

Zadmat, I sent you a PM. If should show up in the notifications link at the top of the page.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 07-22-2015 at 06:48.

"...made it sound as if he probably shouldn't have been allowed to have it..." Pretty much. If the story is true. The troopies were not allowed to keep any issued kit. Marine officers did not snipe and certainly would not have been issued a 1903A4 at the end of the Korean War. Mind you, it's entirely possible a surplused rifle was given to your da by somebody. Maybe his troopies. Who knows?
    Anyway, as it sits, it's worth whatever any sporterised 1903A4 is worth. The scope is commercial. Even though it's got an '03A4 barrel and receiver. It will cost a bundle to restore. Gunparts wants $190.95 for one type of a drop-in reproduction "Type 'C' walnut stock alone. An unissued 'Scant'(different grip shape) runs $237.35. There'd be the hand guards and all the metal bits too.
    Spelling and grammar count!

9. Default

While it will cost to restore it, so far he is $0 into it.