Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

The Marines (AFAIK) didn't have any 03s fail at Guadalcanal, that's true enough. The MD that wrote this study, though, says 2-3 should have failed in a population of 100% LN 03s.

http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

Shooting an LN 03 is a gamble, at best. And, sure enough, people go to Vegas and beat the odds. Apparently the Marines on Guadalcanal did just that, not that they had a choice. They were at war. We're not.

Here's this, though. In Vegas, if you lose you're just broke. If (when) the odds catch up with you, at minimum you're looking at a wrecked gun at least. And maybe more.

The question is, is the risk of permanent injury and total loss of the rifle worth playing the odds, ESPECIALLY when there are so many 03s around that are significantly safer to shoot?
    Chattanooga Strong.

The Krag Rifle: The Hamilton Watch of milsurp!

Dave this could go on forever. We have our thoughts on this seemingly never ending subject. I'm sure in 6-8 months it will come up again. But makes an interesting debate. Probably well into the next century lol.

What is safe to fire in low number 03s? Blanks, of course! Dry firing is even safer.
    Last edited by tmark; 09-06-2015 at 07:45.

Blog Entries

I will say this though. An LN action is so smooth it'll make you want to toss an 03A3 in the river.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Blog Entries

Thankfully we live in a country where we can choose to risk firing a low number 1903. I wonder how many of our group would not fire a LN but
    would hop on a motorcycle and ride away without a concern? I sold my motorcycle when noticed that nearly every day there was a mention in the newspaper
    of an experienced rider being killed while riding.
    Last edited by Herschel; 09-07-2015 at 10:06.

If LN 1903's blow up so easily, then after 100 years of us stupid people shooting them, shouldn't they all be destroyed by now? How can any of them still be left if just touching them with a hammer or dropping them, they shatter in pieces. But yet still around.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
    Thankfully we live in a country where we can choose to risk firing a low number 1903.
    Strongly agreed.

I wonder how many of our group would not fire a LN but would hop on a motorcycle and ride away without a concern? I sold my motorcycle when noticed that nearly every day there was a mention in the newspaper
    of an experienced rider being killed while riding.
    False analogy. "I wonder how many of our group would not fire a LN but would hop on a motorcycle with faulty brakes and ride away without a concern - insisting that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the brakes."

That.

I don't care if you ride a motorcycle with faulty brakes or shoot an LN. I'd just rather that you do it knowingly. Let's alter the debate. Your grandson is going to shoot reloads. Do you hand him the NS '03 or the LN? If your answer is "depends on his age and after he knows the issues" I think you have the win. Know the concerns and exercise DUE caution. Nobody is asking for UNDUE caution.

False analogy. "I wonder how many of our group would not fire a LN but would hop on a motorcycle with faulty brakes and ride away without a concern - insisting that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the brakes."

That.
    THIS.

5mad, did you get my email a couple weeks back?
    Chattanooga Strong.

The Krag Rifle: The Hamilton Watch of milsurp!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Plain Old Dave View Post
    THIS.

5mad, did you get my email a couple weeks back?
    Yup, I suck at responding to email. Well I've been procrastinating on many things. Follow the ordering instructions and it'll appear in the mail. I procrastinate on getting mail out also but I mentioned that.

People mention that the Army and USMC used stuff after the issues became clear. They also sent early M16s to VN. They also had crews take off in overloaded B-29s from very hot tropical islands when the engines were known to overheat even in more temperate locations. It's called "calculated risk." Not "risk denial."

Every time you see a well built girl jogging down the side of the road, heading in the same direction as you, and you look at her after you pass her you take a calculated risk. "Does the front match the back in quality?" If you didn't look you'd never be disappointed. Calculated risk.

I compare firing a lsn rifle to driving a Voltwagen Bug or Corvair with the engines in the rear. Remember these. The idea is that a car with the engine in front offers more protection in a head on collision. Nowadays, people are driving smart cars. I use to drive a Chevette Scooter in 79. Now I drive a big pickemup truck.

Point is whether a firearm or auto, chose something offering the best survivability should the unexpected happen.

The cmp advises not to shoot reloads in a Garand. I have for 35 years without incident. OK, maybe a few head separations and split cases but nothing catastrophic.