Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Failure when shooting with lead bullets indicates that the powder detonated rather than burned. This is a common problem shooting pistol powder in large capacity cases.

Quote Originally Posted by musketshooter View Post
    Failure when shooting with lead bullets indicates that the powder detonated rather than burned. This is a common problem shooting pistol powder in large capacity cases.
    You are referring to SEE (secondary explosion effect). This can occur with small charges of SLOW powders in large cases. Powder quickness slower than 3031 can be dangerous with reduced loads. Fast powders are safe with reduced loads when used properly. See the book Firearms Pressure Factors. Blowups that occur with fast powders are typically due to double charges.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kragluver View Post
    You are referring to SEE (secondary explosion effect). This can occur with small charges of SLOW powders in large cases. Powder quickness slower than 3031 can be dangerous with reduced loads. Fast powders are safe with reduced loads when used properly. See the book Firearms Pressure Factors. Blowups that occur with fast powders are typically due to double charges.
    Yes, but no one wants to admit they double charged the case and blew the gun up!
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Agree - I see the SEE detonation phenomena reported as reduced loads of fast powders very often on various forums. Whereas it is reduced charges of slow powders that cause SEE.

SlamFire....it's very interesting how the Marine Corps had that very simple approach for testing low number receivers. I have a couple of low number receivers without barrels. I would like to try this method and just see what happens. Would it be better to have a barrel installed first?
    I would not go to the expense or bother of installing a barrel. In the May- June 1985 issue of Rifle, Hugh Douglas took three or four low number receivers, without bolt or barrel, and hit them with a nylon faced hammer. He held the receiver in the left hand, hammer in the right. All of the receivers he whacked, included a double heat treat, broke.

I have the tools in install a barrel and a few worn barrels. Is this what the marine corps did? I would think that hanging the receiver would work better but probably with the same results.
    Thanks Louis

Back to the original question about what to shoot - .22LR after you convertthe rifle. Otherwise, test the receiver first by whacking it smartly as described above.

8. Default

Keep shooting them, with each destroyed rifle the intact rifles go up in price
    liberum aeternum

I think weird stuff happens firing lead bullets - whichever theories you prefer: the double charge theory or the loose gas check theory. I have a friend who dented the chamber on the perfect 98 Krag using mild lead bullet loads.

Incidentally, no dissing of Swampyankee was intended. My time in the hobby is 50 years - back then I think there was just more reading, also a lot more emphasis ON the milsurps... That aspect took up a lot of magazine articles and ad space. Buying, shooting and back then CONVERTING them.

And stay away from those late HRA's http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=16815456