Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MP38 Question, Class III ??

I was approached by a man that "might have been" gifted a WWII bring-back MP38. If he was, he had no idea that they are illegal if not register originally, and I believe no more can be added to the list? He has a C&R and thought that would cover it, if had had one.
    There is possibility that perhaps it might be registered from way back? But is there some place I can help him access that information?

If not, he wants it rendered LEGAL?? Sure I can weld it shut. But could it be made SEMI-AUTO?? Would that then make it ok, and not need registered??

He is considering placing it in a coffin with a deserving desesed veteran and then it will be gone. But would rather preserve it "LEGALLY" in some form.
    Than is, if he actually had such a thing.
    Hopefully it is on a list of guns that were "grandfathered" I think it is called. But if not, can it be rendered semi without totally destroying its operation??
    Just wondering, of course.
    Thanks to all,
    Brad

PM sent.
    Last edited by dave; 07-18-2015 at 01:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Hopefully it is on a list of guns that were "grandfathered" I think it is called.

Following passage of the 1968 Gun Control Act in November 1968, the federal government initiated a 30-day amnesty to allow registration of previously unregistered firearms—no questions asked. More than 50,000 firearms were registered during that very brief amnesty period.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    There is possibility that perhaps it might be registered from way back? But is there some place I can help him access that information?
    Yes, contact the ATF, they will know, but of course if it isn't they will want the gun and destroy it or maybe let you weld it up and keep it.

Don't try to be cute and play games, it's a serious felony to possess it unregistered.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Due to some great stupidity... we the NRA agreed to halt the addition of more Class III full auto weapons back in 1986...if it wasn't already registered.. and if they didn't get it on the one amnesty period... no more can be added now......... without the president ordering that another amnesty period will occur........Don't hold your breath on it happening... not even the pro-gun presidents have ever thought to do so...........As Phil said... destroy it or turn it in to the PD... most folks tell them they were given it by a deceased relative/friend ....... if it is registered it is worth a chunk....... but since the guy had his C&R... he knew all this............some guys have stripped the receivers of all parts........and just turned in the receiver.... but make sure you know what is considered the receiver on foreign made Class III stuff especially... and even some US made weapons too.......

I'd love to see the law changed to allow dealer's samples to become fully transferable & allow the addition of new ones to... that Kriss Vector is a neat piece...
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

gimp that was 1968 amnesty not 1986.

something this serious, don't talk to the ATF, talk to an attorney. Advice on a forum is really useless, in this matter
    liberum aeternum

"...could it be made SEMI-AUTO??..." Once an MG always an MG. According to the ATF. That's why there are no semi'd M-14's around. ATF collected 'em all years ago.
    A lawyer will tell you to turn it in or DEWAT it. They really cannot advise anything else. Assuming it's not registered.
    I'd suggest you read the actual law pertaining to Class 3 stuff. The National Firearms Act of 1934, The GCA and the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986, at least.
    Spelling and grammar count!

He is playing with fire, posting this on the internet!!!!

Bad JuJU fooling around with unknown class III stuff. Walking on Thin ice at best.