Thread: 30rd Mags

Default 30rd Mags

What's the scoop on 30rd mags marked M2?? $ ? Have a friend with about 10 Thanks, Gene

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

If I'm not mistaken the M-2 designation was for the select fire version of the Carbine which would change a relitively docile M1 Carbine into a fire breathing fully automatic carbine. The 30 round mags were manufactured with the M2 in mind. Where as the 15 rounders were for the M1 semi automatic, even though the mags were interchangable and often were.

I think you will find that magazines only marked M2 are commercial magazines. Those that were military WW2 M2 magazines are marked AI and M2. There were three versions of these. Two made in the US and one in Japan. They are a close copy of USGI magazines. Most after market 30 round magazines are junk and not worth the money to buy them. Sad to say but those made in the US are not good quality. Right now the new ones from Korea are the best and close to USGI magazines.
    Last edited by Tuna; 07-15-2015 at 06:45.

I've got 5 of the Korean mags and so far they have worked flawlessly. A little thin on the steel, looks as they intended to be dropped on the battlefield, but they work great. $10 ea.
    Chris

Blog Entries

I bought a few repop 30 round mags in the 1994 panic and one still has the price tag of $20. I kick myself every time I see it.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

No idea where it was made, but the one I have didn't feed worth beans until I tweaked the lips open a tick. Fine, long, needle nosed pliers made it work just fine.
    The M1 Carbine started out as a fire breathing fully automatic carbine. Military said no. Nothing docile about a Carbine with the right ammo. And that ain't milsurp.
    Spelling and grammar count!

One thing you should have is the late production mag release. It has the extra tap for the heavy
    30 rd mags. I have around 15 USGI 30 round mags along with one or two aftermarket ones. I never use the
    aftermarket mags. Don't use the 30's much either, even with my M2 Carbine.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    I think you will find that magazines only marked M2 are commercial magazines. Those that were military WW2 M2 magazines are marked AI and M2. There were three versions of these. Two made in the US and one in Japan. They are a close copy of USGI magazines. Most after market 30 round magazines are junk and not worth the money to buy them. Sad to say but those made in the US are not good quality. Right now the new ones from Korea are the best and close to USGI magazines.
    This.

I went down that road years ago with the M2 marked magazines. Very disappointed and waste of my money.

Aim Surplus has the Korean 30 round magazines for sale. These have worked well for me and many others.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...zine&groupid=4

As was stated earlier, also need to use an M2 magazine release.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    No idea where it was made, but the one I have didn't feed worth beans until I tweaked the lips open a tick. Fine, long, needle nosed pliers made it work just fine.
    The M1 Carbine started out as a fire breathing fully automatic carbine. Military said no. Nothing docile about a Carbine with the right ammo. And that ain't milsurp.
    The right ammo.

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-M1-C...-110-GR-FTX-CD

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur