Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 38-200

Default 38-200

LGS has a Colt 38-200....There is a W within a crest on the L/S rear, very near the top of the frame...No lanyard, butt sn in serif is 1920...Matching S/N is 662101...Small L above the s/n, and a large S below the S/N..Has the brit markings on the right side of the barrel....Thinning finish, $ 600....Is it a 38 S&W?...Thanks for the help.....regards...alex
    Last edited by blackhawk2; 07-14-2015 at 04:00.

The 38-200 was the British service loading of the 38 S&W with a 200 grain bullet.

What are the left side barrel markings? Is the W in a crest or a crown? What are the British markings?

Pictures?

The 38-200 is a very hot loaded 38 S&W . The case is interchangable . It is loaded with a 200 gr bullet vs. a 147 gr bullet at a bit more pressure . The extra weight increases the time the bullet is in the barrel and the weight and powder charge increase the recoil to you , causing the bullet to leave the barrel at a higher point in the recoil arc of the gun . Ie , the gun will shoot low with current factory 147 gr .38 S&W . You have to reload those empty cases to get 38-200s that will hit to POA . The result is a load in the lower .38 special ballpark . 200 grain bullets are available in british 38-200 diam. or Americian .38 special diam. ( for those with WW2 victories or colts in " 38 S&W " but regulated for 38-200 ) . I have a couple of S&W Victories and it's a fun little round . Shooting used freon jugs , the .38 S&W load would bounce back at us like rocks skimming on a lake , great fun to shoot and dodge . The 38-200s would go through one side and dent the other , with a sometimes through and through on the thin areas .
    Chris
    Last edited by emmagee1917; 07-15-2015 at 09:28.

Western Cartridge Co. made a 200 grain loading called the .38 Super Police which was loaded to about 620 fps.

Markings on the left side are Colt official police 38-200, the w is within a crest....Right side has the typical brit markings with tons etc, I did not record the exact markings....regards....alex

Don't know about the W in a crest, but the W in crown was a British Purchasing Commission marking. If the British markings have the TONS PER [] " marking, they date to post 1954.

I believe it just about has to be a British used gun, 38-200 is not a U S marking. BTW The proper British Service load was 38-187 full jacket bullet. The police used the 38-200. Now having typed that , truth be known the British used any 38 S&W cartridge they could stuff in the cylinder in WWII.

The original load was a 200 Gr. lead bullet which Germany objected to at the start of WW2 as it was against the Hague convention. Great Britain then made the 180 gr. FMJ round as the standard military issue.

Sage, California....where the pavement ends and The West begins

It sounds like one of the Colt Official Police revolvers that were supplied to Britain early in WW2. I have one, serial number 672115.

Mine is also in the .38-200 caliber with a full complement of British markings. Mine originally had the lanyard ring but it has been removed, so I will have to find another one....did the one you looked at have the lanyard ring removed, or was it never outfitted with one?

Mine also has a number stamped on the butt, but I don't recall what it is and don't have the gun with me right now. Finish on mine is the original Colt blue, not that thick black enamel you see on a lot of Limey guns that looks like it was applied with a mop.

If the gun is in decent original condition, $600 is not an unreasonable price for a nice old vintage Colt with a WW2 military history.

I don't know about the British used Colt OP revolvers, but some of the Smith and Wesson Victory models had the cylinder chambers modified so they would chamber .38 special - this was done post-war by importer Bubbas in a poorly thought out and value killing attempt to increase the marketability of the gun - the .38 special cases bulge alarmingly due to the larger diameter of the .38 S&W chamber and accuracy is less than impressive with the smaller .38 special bullet in the larger .38 S&W bore.