Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you're in Durand, MI, give a call to Williams Gunsite in Davison as they are a Remington Service Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W. View Post
    If you have a Timney trigger assembly, you are good to go. Remove the 3 lower stock screws and separate the action from the stock, look to be sure it's a Timney, if it is, reassemble, your done. You don't want to send your rifle in and have them trade that good trigger for a new Remington with a 7 lb. trigger pull. I installed Timney triggers on a 3 of my 700's just to be safe. If you do have a unmarked trigger, most likely a Remington, you will want to send it in to be replaced. The Remington triggers that are failing are failing from dirt and gunk, not a bad trigger assembly, just most folks don't ever clean them and, over time, they get gunked up and fail on some rifles. AD's aren't much fun and are to be avoided at all cost. Well worth following up on this and getting it right.
    Chris
    You right about the triggers that are trouble are almost always full of crap and the fact that 99.9% of gun owners do not clean or maintain a trigger is a disaster waiting to happen. A Remington X-Mark Pro is one of the offending triggers and you can tell if it has been back to Remington for repair, if it has it will have a punch mark on the bolt release. I have one of the reworked triggers on my Remington 700 SPS and it's as good a trigger as my Winchester Mod.70 Classic standard grade or my Winchester Mod.70 Super grade feather weight.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Things to look for:

On the oldest version of Model 700 rifles the safety locks the bolt and the firing mechanism. The first fix Remington did was to modify the action so that the bolt could be opened with the safety "on." I would not buy a "Walker Fire Control Group" 700 that required the safety to be "off" to open the bolt.

My wife had a friend who was hunting with an older Model 700 a few years ago. She had a nice buck in perfect position, thumbed the safety off, and the rifle fired. Scared the bejeesus out of her and she wouldn't use the rifle again. I know these people well and they take very good care of their firearms so abuse was not the problem in this case.

I am not going to sell my 80s vintage Model 700 but I'm especially careful of where the muzzle is pointed when I take the safety off with the rifle loaded. I look on this as just something you have to be cognizant of if you own one of these rifles, especially rifles made in the last century. The ones that do not allow the rifle to be unloaded with the safety "on" are the exception, I wouldn't buy one of those.
    Last edited by Art; 09-03-2015 at 05:20.

Re: Rem. 700 triggers. Hum... what to do? What to do? Been owning and shooting Rem. 700 rifles since 1980. Have no idea how many 700's I've owned and shot. Every single one of them had a three way Rem. 700 trigger. Every one of the was adjusted by myself for best results at the range or in the woods and fields. Used them in all sorts of conditions and circumstances. Shot them with all sorts of domestic and imported ammunition as well as lots and lots of handloads. I discovered a fluke common to the Rem. 700 design. The trigger worked. If the rifle was loaded and cocked, if one pulled the trigger, if fired. If the safety was on, the rifle would not fire. I suppose if you had your finger in the trigger guard and pushed the safety off, the rifle might discharge. Makes sense... safety off, finger on trigger... gun goes...off. Never had that problem. Flip the safety off. Fire the rifle. As with any firearm, maintain muzzle discipline ... period! If there is a problem with this trigger, it's a problem common to all firearms. I.e., fail to handle a loaded firearm inappropriately and an negligent discharge is very possible... even likely. Just like folks who shot themselves holstering a Glock, etc. because they insist on keeping their finger in the trigger guard when holstering their pistol... or like people who cause negligent discharges when they load a traditional six shot single action revolver with... six shots, and then drop the revolver so that it lands on hammer and discharges. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I think the way to make it fail is to put the safety on, pull the trigger, then move the safety off and boom!

One of the fixes was to modify the rifle so the bolt would open with the safety on because many of the incidents occurred by simply unloading the rifle.

Search Walker fire control for more info.
    +1 This is exactly how i remember the problem from about 10-15 years ago.