Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kracked Lugs?

Default Kracked Lugs?

Anyone ever come across a cracked lug on a bolt?

I contend that the likelihood of finding one is nigh on to nill.

They cracked in service. While in service they were fixed as was the load that did the deed.

Since that happened we have a greater variety of powders that push bullets faster and gentler and commercial loads have always been within pressures that our Krags can withstand, thus my contention. This does not rule out the odd handloader that over does it.

So: who among us has ever encountered a cracked lug on a bolt?

Thanks,

Mark
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

I ain't seen one yet...
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I've probably had 25 Krags, and a dozen spare bolts, and I've never found a cracked bolt. I even have done some primitive dye penetrant testing and saw no cracks.

4. Default

I have seen one Krag bolt with a cracked lug.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    I have seen one Krag bolt with a cracked lug.
    Thanks Kragrifle for getting back on this and thanks to the others that responded as well.

Kragrifle, still have the bolt? have photos to share? would love to see it.

Thanks again,

Mark
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

I have owned many Krags and have not seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by bobgar View Post
    I have owned many Krags and have not seen one.
    +1

8. Default

There are photos online of cracked Krag bolts...and seems I saw a bit of a tutorial with pics about the phenomenon....

I imagine simple attrition has taken care of most cracked Krag bolts these days. Busted bolts either replaced or rifle scrapped/retired/parted-out. Not too many Krag rifles seeing service in this century anyhow.

An old 1960's 'Shooter's Bible' I own has an article about sporterizing old military rifles....warns to inspect Krag bolt-lugs/lug and modest loads. It's a real issue(like low-number M1903 receivers). My take on the deal is that modest ammo is the ticket for Krag bolt longevity. The Army's experiments with hotter ammo back in the day..plus the use of 'Grandpa's whammy shell' .30-40 reloads in civilian service ever since have caused bolts to crack on occasion. Something a Krag owner that shoots his Krag should keep an eye on.

I've seen one, from a friend's early Krag, that was updated to model 1896 changes, and in 'excellent' condition.

The 'fault' was a very subtle straight line crack at the rear of the lug, where it joins the bolt-body. (It almost appeared 'machined'). My friend discovered it while cleaning, after shooting U.S. factory loads. It likely was 'cracked' before his firing the rifle, but, had gone unnoticed.

He was able to get a correct 'mint' replacement bolt for about $60 and has had no further problems.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 07-14-2015 at 08:07.

so far that makes two that forum members have seen in person, and that is, in a sense, quite a few.

Thanks for the replies.

Mark