Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Verdigris

Yea, I decided to take three of my slings apart to remove every vestige of encroaching and damaging verdigris from in between the brass claws and the leather. It'd grown so much that the brass and leather were pushed apart with some of the rivets starting to pull out of the brass. Those rivets that weren't coming out of the brass were trying to pull through the leather on the other end of the rivet.
    So, being a really resourceful guy, I carefully took the claws off and scraped away the green waxy stuff and brushed away all traces of it from the leather with a Soft toothbrush and from the brass claws with a brass wired brush. I used a brass bore brush to clean out from under the hooks of the claws really well. I then cleaned the leather tips with Pecard Antique Leather Dressing and after thoroughly cleaning off each rivet, I tapped each back in to its original hole, allowing the end to re expand in the hole against a bronze anvil. Just had to do it. Now the slings should last another 100 years just fine before they have to be cleaned again. Probably even longer.
    One has to know what their doing of course. But it isn't rocket science, so I got through it OK. Besides, having been a handy man for a school district for 12 years, I got pretty good at taking things apart, and putting them back together again after fixing and servicing everything. Wife says that I'm a real wizbang around the house... LOLOLOL
    Anyway, I've done it other times since and they turned out good.

Last edited by Fred; 08-02-2015 at 07:13.

This technique shouldn't be used to service the older trapdoor and Krag slings. They have a different rivet holding them together and attempting to drive them out or remove them would mess them up in a bad way.

Actually I'm thinking there is a way to remove those too and then put them back in again so that they look the same. However it'd take three hands.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-03-2015 at 08:20.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    This technique shouldn't be used to service the older trapdoor and Krag slings. They have a different rivet holding them together and attempting to drive them out or remove them would mess them up in a bad way.
    How did you remove the rivets?
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

With a drive or drift whose face is smaller than the holes in the brass claws.

6. Default

Great job on the sling.

Thank you Kindly!