Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Verdigris

Plain white vinegar would do it. That's what's doing it in the acidic sugary tomato sauce.
    Spelling and grammar count!

You can order from Pecard's, use google to find web site!

You can order from Pecard's, use google to find web site!
    What you do not seem to know is the verdigris is also under the hook where you can not get at it. I have had at least one sling have a build up so thick the rivets broke thru the leather and the leather was rotten. Pecards or nothing else will stop it from forming, only when the acid leach's out of the leather will it stop forming. That takes years!
    Last edited by dave; 07-19-2015 at 03:52.

Blog Entries

You can buy it from our sponsor, Turner slings.

http://www.mcssl.com/store/turnersad...92000659f84cc4
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

5. Default

Personally, I would contact Les Tamm in Hawaii. I'm told he uses original brass hooks on his custom slings.
    Steve
    Last edited by S.B.; 07-26-2015 at 03:50.
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

Its the tannic acid, used to tan leather which causes it. Some do not use it I understand, such as Mexico tanned leather.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Its the tannic acid, used to tan leather which causes it. Some do not use it I understand, such as Mexico tanned leather.
    Dave, from what I've read it is cause by the animal oits used in the tanning process, to avoid this they now use vegetable oils?
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

Never heard that. Have a friend who was a chemist and the tannic acid is what he told me. I just took his word for it. I'm sure something could be found on the internet.

Just don't drop any of that stuff on your wife's white bedroom carpet.

10. Default

The verdigris is a reaction between the tannic acid in the leather and the copper in the brass hooks. As dave explained, the verdigris you see on the outside has worked out from under the brass, and will continue to do so. I just try to keep it cleaned off with toothpicks until it forms more, and incidentally it is poison. In some cases it will push the hooks off the sling, or the rivets in holsters.