Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Verdigris

Default Verdigris

My 18996 came with a fairly nice sling but the hooks are coverd with verdigris. I would like to clean them safely.

Any knowledge on how to do this would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

While back a guy on here took his sling and remove the hooks cleaned and reassembled. It looked original when he was thru. I know the rivets will pop out if hit with a slightly smaller dia punch over a hole in block of wood, they are lightly crimped over on the hooks but I do not know how they went back. I should think not enough metal would be left to crimp again. I would coat them with lacquer or something but leather that old should not have much acid left in it.
    Perhaps he will respond.
    Last edited by dave; 07-12-2015 at 01:53.

I have been told by more than one source to use Ketchup. I was not told, however, to use it. The hooks are presently soaking in Ketchup or, if you wish, Catsup.
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

I used Hoppes #9 and a tooth brush.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Whatever, but the LAST thing I would do is take it apart!

Not a chance, dick, not a chance. The catsup thing seems to have worked but now I need to rub some neatsfoot oil onto the leather, I think.

Thanks,

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Daiute; 07-13-2015 at 06:44.

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

Throw the neatsfoot oil away. Use Pecards Antique Leather Dressing on your old leather.

+1 on Pecard for old leather.

From what I've read over the years, neatsfoot oil is bad stuff. So is Lexol.

Gotcha. The sling has a pleasant soapy smell to it. I'll see about getting some Pecards.

Thanks as always,

Mark

Blog Entries

Get Pecard's from Turner, or get his own dressing.

http://www.mcssl.com/store/turnersad...tegory/5360060
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur