Thread: Last 8 #' of mil surplus 4895.

Default Last 8 #' of mil surplus 4895.

I just opened my last 8# jug of military surplus 4895 powder. I sure wish I had bought more @$8.00 /pound + shipping. The days of cheap surplus powder are gone never to return. Kinda takes some of the fun out of shooting when powder costs upwards of $20.00 /pound.

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    I just opened my last 8# jug of military surplus 4895 powder. I sure wish I had bought more @$8.00 /pound + shipping. The days of cheap surplus powder are gone never to return. Kinda takes some of the fun out of shooting when powder costs upwards of $20.00 /pound.
    Mission accomplished by the liberals.

The days of surplus powders are gone never to return, period. Mind you, those days never made it here. And $20 per pound is cheap.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Where are you finding powder at $20 a pound?

Personally, I think surplus powder like 4895 are no longer available is because it works so well that shooters bought up all that was available (When I discovered WC820, I bought 8 lbs. of it and now, alas, it's no longer available). I believe the military is using a different powder these days, so there ain't no "surplus".

Y'all who have this surplus 4895, take care to keep your powder cool and dry. I will confess here; I allowed some to be stored in a hot shed and had some really green grass in my yard last year. Don't ask how much........

Tommy

I would love to find IMR4895 at 20 bucks per pound, where are you looking to find that price?
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

I can find 4895 for $26 a pound right now... Cabelas in Dundee, MI has had it.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I should have bought more surplus powder when it was available. Not only 4895 but several others for rifle and pistol. Stuff was around for quite some time.

Blog Entries

Surplus powder is still around, but it's all slow burning 50 cal and 20mm stuff.

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur