Thread: M82 Scope Mount

Default M82 Scope Mount

I have a M82 Scope with the Mount and Mount Base. I was going to remove the scope from the rings to clean everything. I could not loosen the screws, I tried everything, with no luck. I then called Iron Sights, Inc and my local gun smith and they both told me to put some Kano Kroil penetrating oil on the screws, let it set overnight and then try removing the screws. If that didn't work use CRC Freeze Off and that should work.
    I then thought about removing the scope rings from the base. I discovered that the screws holding the scope rings to the base had been drilled and a pin was punched into the screw and the base. I believe they pinned the screws to prevent them from moving.
    I have another M82 scope and the screws attaching the scope ring to the base are not pinned.
    Can anyone tell me why they are pinned in one scope base and not in another, was this common and how do you remove the pins besides drilling? I would also like to know why I cannot remove the screws from the scope rings.
    kaydees
    kaydees@embarqmail.com

let the kroil soak more than one day, don't rush the job, use the right fitting screw driver, try it if won't move let it sit some more. Took a long time to get seized give the kroil time to work.
    good luck
    kurt

Thanks for the info.
    Kaydees

Quote Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
    I have a M82 Scope with the Mount and Mount Base. I was going to remove the scope from the rings to clean everything. I could not loosen the screws, I tried everything, with no luck. I then called Iron Sights, Inc and my local gun smith and they both told me to put some Kano Kroil penetrating oil on the screws, let it set overnight and then try removing the screws. If that didn't work use CRC Freeze Off and that should work.
    I then thought about removing the scope rings from the base. I discovered that the screws holding the scope rings to the base had been drilled and a pin was punched into the screw and the base. I believe they pinned the screws to prevent them from moving.
    I have another M82 scope and the screws attaching the scope ring to the base are not pinned.
    Can anyone tell me why they are pinned in one scope base and not in another, was this common and how do you remove the pins besides drilling? I would also like to know why I cannot remove the screws from the scope rings.
    kaydees
    kaydees@embarqmail.com
    kaydee,

Are both mounts military Griffin & Howe? The early G&H mount had the scope ring to base screws staked, (sometimes the screws that hold the rings together are staked). That did not work well so they started to pin them. It would be difficult to drill them out. Most likely it would require an end mill. It might be best not to take the pins out.

It might take several days for the kroil to work---I have waited weeks. (Keep adding kroil.)

Best Regards,