Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The butt stock is a really daft place for a mag pouch that was made to go on a belt. Extremely awkward to get at in a hurry. Kind of doubt a PBI type would have one there for very long.
    "..."LIFT THE DOT" fastener..." Stamped thusly so the PBI and REMF's wouldn't get confused trying to open it. snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

2. Default

Amazing how many M1 Carbine collectors advertise for the "magazine pouch that goes on the stock".

Wonder if the Klikit confuses them?

I have a package of "lift a dots" somewhere in my shop. Bought them several years ago.

I can see the situation where you're off the line, catching a nap or otherwise not quite ready; incoming and you grab and go. Note they sell sidesaddles for shotguns now.
    Contempt of congress, 350 million co-defendents

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    The butt stock is a really daft place for a mag pouch that was made to go on a belt. Extremely awkward to get at in a hurry. Kind of doubt a PBI type would have one there for very long.
    "..."LIFT THE DOT" fastener..." Stamped thusly so the PBI and REMF's wouldn't get confused trying to open it. snicker.
    If laying on your belly, being shot at it would be a lot handier then the belt!

If something happens in a split second, you grab your weapon and know you have 45 rounds to defend yourself from that second on. The additional seconds looking for or grabbing your belt could mean your life or others. Same reason we'd tape two 20rd mag's together.

Quote Originally Posted by 2flasargent View Post
    Just curious - Were the magazine pouches put on the stocks during WW2 or Korea or is this a 'reenactor thing'? In my limited experience I don't remember seeing this pictured.

Respects
    The mag pouches were definitely WWII -- they will only take the original 15-round mags, not the later 30-round mags. So by the end of the war they were obsolete.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    The mag pouches were definitely WWII -- they will only take the original 15-round mags, not the later 30-round mags. So by the end of the war they were obsolete.
    I never even thought of that. 15 rounders were obsoleted?
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I never even thought of that. 15 rounders were obsoleted?
    Of course! Who would go into action with a 15 round magazine when he could have 30 rounds?

When I was issued an M2 carbine as an Adviser to the Viet Namese Army in 1966, the 30 round magazines were all there were.