Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mag pouches on the stock

Just curious - Were the magazine pouches put on the stocks during WW2 or Korea or is this a 'reenactor thing'? In my limited experience I don't remember seeing this pictured.

Respects
    Contempt of congress, 350 million co-defendents

This was done starting in WW2 and it seems in all theaters. Not all who had a carbine did it but there were quite a few who did use the extra pouch on the stock.

The soldier seated is an uncle, and photo was taken in either late 1944 or early 1945 in Europe. His M1 Carbine has the magazine pocket on the stock.

Looking at a double m-1 carbine mag pouch made by Biscayne Tent & Awning dtd 1942, it's in the style of the mills web gear, with a lift dot in the middle of the back flap, ( I also have a M1911A1 double mag pouch bought from Numrich, Mills mfr dtd Oct 1918 that has the slide and lift dot on the back flap) so the pouch could be slid onto a regulation ww2 web belt and moved to a comfortable position and secured using the lift dot. Some bored GI probably looked at the dual 15rnd pouch and said "Hmm I wonder...." and an extra 2 mags of loaded ammo was put on the rifle close to hand.

RHB

I saw a photo once of a soldier that installed the pouch upside down on the stock.I tried that with my carbine and like that way better.

Curiosity satisfied! I've been portraying Cavalry of various eras for ~20 years, and the sometimes BS can be overwhelming. I do try to get it right.
    Contempt of congress, 350 million co-defendents

Blog Entries

I posted one a long time ago on a Garand in the Italian campaign. I couldn't believe it so I tried it out and yes, the carbine mag pouch will hold two enbocs and fit on the stock.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

The "LIFT THE DOT" fastener was on the front of the magazine pocket, and the male part of the snap was on the back. Most of the Lift the Dot type fasteners were made by other contractors, but all were still called by the Lift the Dot name. The snap on the back corresponded with the female part of the snap on the pistol belt, and was offset slightly so as to not interfere with fastening the belt.

They were used on the stock but were not made with that in mind, I understand. But there are other types.

10. Default

Late in WWII the magazine pockets for the M1 Carbine just had two loops on the back. It wasn't about to go on the stock.