Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    You never answered if there was H, L, or M stamp on right side of butt. That would tell you if it was ever assigned to a service branch and to which--L Air, H Army, M Navy. The L and M should be worth a premium, vast majority were sent to the Army.
    On the right side of butt I can only find the WaA135 stamp

I can never understand this big deal about an excellent matching, original sling, bring back and people criticizing the rifle because the stock has a finish applied and/or was lightly sanded (as long as stamps are still there). That is what a lot of GI's did to their prize's. Part of the history if you believe in such! Just have to comment negatively? I do not believe it devalues a rifle by much if any. And I would never pass up such a rifle. And most others would not either. Just my opinion. Everyone owes and ahs over the rifles in Ball's book, but they do not know most of them are mismatched examples.

I can never understand this big deal about an excellent matching, original sling, bring back and people criticizing the rifle because the stock has a finish applied and/or was lightly sanded (as long as stamps are still there). That is what a lot of GI's did to their prize's. Part of the history if you believe in such! Just have to comment negatively? I do not believe it devalues a rifle by much if any. And I would never pass up such a rifle. And most others would not either. Just my opinion. Everyone owes and ahs over the rifles in Ball's book, but they do not know most of them are mismatched examples.
    Thank you Dave for your comment, I appreciate it.
    Im not a collector of these rifles, but when I came across it I knew enough to know its not
    one often seen in its condition, all matching and with no import marks.

I decided that a serious collector might come to appreciate for what it is and would like to have
    it in their collection. I have entered the rifle into Auction, and its already met its Reserve Price
    with 2 1/2 days to go still. So someone will certainly receive a nice rifle

I thank everyone for their comments and opinions, it certainly has been a educational and informative time
    and I learned even more then I did before.

Thank You
    Last edited by JAG1; 07-10-2015 at 05:28.

"Although no sculptured marble should rise to their memory,
    nor engraved stone bear record of their deeds,
    yet will their remembrance be as lasting as the land they honored."

4. Default

It does devalue the rifle to a serious collector of K98's ,quite a bit actually. What is acceptable practice on USGI rifles is frowned upon by Mauser collectors..Yes, it has value and could be "restored" by putting it in a untouched stock made by Mauser Oberndorf as they were not numbered. Rifles history I get and the GI that sent it home could do as he wished with his rifle..He earned that right..But to do something to the stock that isn't period correct and YOU didn't bring it back ruins the history of the rifle..You are the new "caretakers" of these artifacts and to do something to them that can't be reversed only makes the untouched ones worth more and turns another one into a shooter instead of a true collectors piece.

Finish will all most always come right off with stripper, its the ones which were stained that are difficult. Regardless what people think laminate stocks left the factory with no finish of any kind. Walnut had a oil finish, probably linseed but German documents do not state what. The dark brownish color of most all laminate stocks comes from dirt and perhaps the troops used oil on them. At any rate nothing would penetrate the first 1/16" layer of wood, as the 'glue' used is an epoxy resin, which will absorb nothing! All the other stuff you read about factory finish on laminates on the internet is just B.S. Of my 22 or so K98k's at least 3-4 are stained. And one has a light finish on it. Its a K98k made for China, Chinese proof/inspection marks, Mauser banner on receiver. Matched except m/m bolt. It never went to China and was issued to the German Navy. Now you tell me what this rifle is worth and how much you would devalue it because of the "defects"! And tell me a "serious" collector would not snap it up! Robert Jensen, who provided many of the rifles for Ball's book is a serious collector and his collection has many m/m examples. I know a guy who has seen it.

6. Default

Finish will all most always come right off with stripper, its the ones which were stained that are difficult. Regardless what people think laminate stocks left the factory with no finish of any kind. Walnut had a oil finish, probably linseed but German documents do not state what. The dark brownish color of most all laminate stocks comes from dirt and perhaps the troops used oil on them. At any rate nothing would penetrate the first 1/16" layer of wood, as the 'glue' used is an epoxy resin, which will absorb nothing! All the other stuff you read about factory finish on laminates on the internet is just B.S. Of my 22 or so K98k's at least 3-4 are stained. And one has a light finish on it. Its a K98k made for China, Chinese proof/inspection marks, Mauser banner on receiver. Matched except m/m bolt. It never went to China and was issued to the German Navy. Now you tell me what this rifle is worth and how much you would devalue it because of the "defects"! And tell me a "serious" collector would not snap it up! Robert Jensen, who provided many of the rifles for Ball's book is a serious collector and his collection has many m/m examples. I know a guy who has seen it.
    This is my last post on this subject as the OP is already flipping his rifle...All I was stating is that less is more..If you do not know what is damaging or not damaging to a 70 year old laminate stock with glues that suffered in quality as the war progressed (especially around 1945)..You are better to leave it alone..Or at least get some opinions on a dedicated collectors board to type the rifle you own on a proper conservation/restoration technique..And they did seal the stocks on k98's up until 1944 with a "linseed oil varnish" or something along those lines as no one is 100% certain of what exactly "linseed oil varnish" is...

Statements like 'sealed laminate stocks until 1944' and 'glue suffered in quality as war progressed' is the internet BS I referred to. Back those statements up with facts and documentation or stop spreading them! And not just a "knowledgeable collector told me", that don't cut it. Take the metal out of any original laminate stock and you will see how it left the factory.

8. Default

All the information is right here:
    http://www.thirdpartypress.com/
    and I have nothing to do with these books..
    Last edited by rockisle1903; 07-12-2015 at 01:51.

Those books were written by a couple collectors who post on Gun Boards. I have never seen them and can not afford them so probably never will. Do they have documentation on finish's, etc. or just statements? I still say the best way to tell is to examine under butt plate, barrel action, sides of magazine well, under side of hand guard, and any other covered wood. If the stocks had been finished there would be finish in these areas. I have taken apart hundreds of these rifles since the 1950's and have never seen any finish there, unlike jap rifles, or US rifles. They were available in gun stores on a weekly basis up into the 60's, bring backs that GI's were selling or trading. Had a group of 6-8 friends and we traded back and forth, one guy sportered many and always gave me the metal and wood. Another of the group was a Sgt. in German Army. It was like a never ending supply then, 35-40 bucks a pop. This was in Chicago area and many gun shops at the time, even in Chicago!
    John Sukey, who posts here, was another guy loosely associated with the Group. I have a rifle (S/42 1936) that made the rounds thru the group, John included, and finally got back to me, who had bought it first.
    Aw, 'those were the days my friend'----
    Last edited by dave; 07-13-2015 at 05:43.

Actually those books are the latest and absolute best reference books available for the German K98k collector bar none and the authors are two of the leading authorities on the subject. Books like BACKBONE OF THE WEHRMACHT were quite good for their time but have been found to be full of errors as new documents come to light. Much like George Madis Winchester book was considered the BIBLE for years but there are errors in it as well. Not to disparage George's work which was extensive and thorough.