Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Value on All Matching, Non-Import, BYF 45 K-98 with Original Sling

I recently acquired this K98 through private owner, whom stated that his grandfather had brought this back from WWII
    but there are no documents to substantiate the claim. First off, I am no expert in the K98 and don't claim to be, in fact
    my knowledge is limited in this area. Information I list here is what I found through long researching and from comments
    and info obtained from those more versed and knowledgeable of the K98 rifles.
    My consensus is that either this rifle is a very, very early import prior to 1968 when import marks were required or in
    fact it is a vet bring back.

The rifle did have a light coat of shellac on it, that I assume the grandfather had applied after returning home to the states.
    I was able to easily remove the shellac using denatured alcohol, allowing 24 hr dry time, then applied couple coats of Lemon Oil
    with dry time in between coats and the coat of Tom's 1/3 mix. The pictures shows the results.

During the complete break down of the rifle, I inspected all parts and log stamps and markings that I found.
    Those results are as follows: View set of pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/uSoTK#0

1945 byf by Mauser Oberndorf

Early – Late War 1945
    Receiver Code: Mod 98
    byf 45 receiver proofs waf 135 (2) (on sides) waf 135 (1) (on top)

Side Rail: Blank

Serial Number: 5 digits (s/n 41973)

Upper Band: no s/n no waf speed milled

Lower Band: no s/n no waf stamped

Trigger Guard:
    no s/n byf and waf 135 (2) stamped with 2 screws

Bolt: Kriegsmodel (phosphate) Matching Numbers: 1973
    Safety on bottom appears to have waf

Front sight: Hood no waf

Rear Sight: meter scale no s/n waf 135 (bottom right side of sight)

Rear sight base: no s/n possible waf 135 (hard to make out)

Stock: Laminate

Stock Markings: (External Marks) Inside: (blurred waf and inverted V)
    Side: (rgt side under disk) WaA135
    Pistol Grip: unreadable/blurred waf
    Spine: * C
    Top Guard: *C

Bayonet Lug: no s/n no waf stamped

Floor Plate
    : no s/n byf waf 135 stamped phosphate

Magazine Follower:
    no s/n no waf stamped

Cleaning Rod: no number, no waf, 12.5”

Sling: Leather Original, no markings that could be seen

This is nicest K98 that I had ever come across in long time that wasn't in someone's collection;
    even though its not in my realm of collecting, I couldn't pass it up.

I welcome all comments, insight, opinions on the rifle, It would only help further my
    knowledge of this rifles.

Thanks for viewing .... Full set of pictures:http://imgur.com/a/uSoTK#0
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Although no sculptured marble should rise to their memory,
    nor engraved stone bear record of their deeds,
    yet will their remembrance be as lasting as the land they honored."

Nice K98. I think the stock may have been lightly sanded at some time as the WaA is smeared and not crisp but still a nice rifle. I think at that point in the war the stocks left the factory absolutely raw wood with no finish. Most I have seen have chatter marks still visible in the wood from rough machining. Collectors really go nuts over those ones. You could post it at the K98 forum, that is where the highest number of late war experts hang out . Maybe take some good closeups of the metal markings and wood. Good catch, I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat.

Thanks Mike for your insight, appreciate it.
    I'm not sure about sanding myself, the grandson couldn't tell me more as he is unfamiliar with
    any firearm. Recently he did contact me and stated he found some sort of tobacco tin with contents.
    I went over to visit him and sure enough he had a complete K98 cleaning kit, marked GAppel and with
    a weak Waf mark. I guess the grandfather also brought this back with the rifle. Course, I had to make
    any offer and he accepted. Closer receiver markings and bolt markings are in the picture link
    Last edited by JAG1; 06-30-2015 at 12:07.

While there are few people who would pay it, I think it would be valued at 1500-2000 dollars. You would need a die hard collector with money to pay it. Stock does not look sanded altho I see no pics showing stampings. Edges of bolt cut-out look sharp and laminate stocks did not take stamps well. I have been collecting these since the late 50's early 60's and have never seen a 45 dated byf with all regular feature's. By then most K98k's were those so called 'last ditch' types, which seem to bring outrageous money. Is there a H, L, or M stamp on right side of butt? I have two such rifles, a 42 and a 44, appear never issued and no 'branch' stamp on stock. Laminate stocks, no matter the year, left the factory with no finish of any kind.
    Last edited by dave; 07-01-2015 at 07:04.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    While there are few people who would pay it, I think it would be valued at 1500-2000 dollars. You would need a die hard collector with money to pay it. Stock does not look sanded altho I see no pics showing stampings. Edges of bolt cut-out look sharp and laminate stocks did not take stamps well. I have been collecting these since the late 50's early 60's and have never seen a 45 dated byf with all regular feature's. By then most K98k's were those so called 'last ditch' types, which seem to bring outrageous money. Is there a H, L, or M stamp on right side of butt? I have two such rifles, a 42 and a 44, appear never issued and no 'branch' stamp on stock. Laminate stocks, no matter the year, left the factory with no finish of any kind.
    Dave,
    Thank you for your insight and information. I figured that a serious collector of the K98 would be interested in the rifle.
    I certainly can relate to financial hard times these days. I like you, dont belive this stock has been sanded, my pictures dont
    do the rifle justice due to the only camera I have on hand. The rifle in person is truly nice. In my research it would seem to
    me that its probably a very early-late war 45' before they started pushing these out later in 1945. Ive also read in research
    that the laminate stock didnt take to the stamps that well.

I notice another stamp which appears to be an " 8 " or a " S " on the top spine along with the " C "
    there also looks like a U or inverted U in the recess under the sling frog cutout.
    Inside the stock there are no numbers, but I see a weak waf stamp and also something like a inverted V
    Bore on the rifle reflects light and looks like good lands and grooves.

Also, I finally was able to tap off the butt plate, and on the wood there is a Large " B " and then a 5 and then a 45 possibly
    stamped into the stock.

IMG_2802.jpg

Those stamps under butt plate indicate sub-contractor and date, 1945. You could go to Gun Board Forums, they have a K98k forum and some of them really get in to the details, which have never interested me particularly. I collect many models of 98's beside K98k's. In Ball's k98k book your rifle is referred to a 'variant', ('Mod.98' moved to top of receiver). The 'Kriegsmodell' was the same but machining was much rougher and some parts were dropped or changed to stamped.
    Serial number studies of known rifles done by collectors, indicate byf produced 108,267 rifles of both types in 1945. But such numbers/studies should be taken with a grain of salt as they 'assume' every number in a letter block was completed. They do, however give an idea of yearly production.
    Last edited by dave; 07-03-2015 at 05:55.

Those stamps under butt plate indicate sub-contractor and date, 1945. You could go to Gun Board Forums, they have a K98k forum and some of them really get in to the details, which have never interested me particularly. I collect many models of 98's beside K98k's. In Ball's k98k book your rifle is referred to a 'variant', ('Mod.98' moved to top of receiver). The 'Kriegsmodell' was the same but machining was much rougher and some parts were dropped or changed to stamped.
    Serial number studies of known rifles done by collectors, indicate byf produced 108,267 rifles of both types in 1945. But such numbers/studies should be taken with a grain of salt as they 'assume' every number in a letter block was completed. They do, however give an idea of yearly production.
    That is a wealth of information and I really appreciate it. There are so many stamps used that I guess one could spend a lifetime studing and learning about them
    I had no ideal, what the stamps in this butt stock would mean, other then the numbers could have been a year date.

Thank you again Dave

You never answered if there was H, L, or M stamp on right side of butt. That would tell you if it was ever assigned to a service branch and to which--L Air, H Army, M Navy. The L and M should be worth a premium, vast majority were sent to the Army.
    Last edited by dave; 07-03-2015 at 02:38.

9. Default

You never answered if there was H, L, or M stamp on right side of butt. That would tell you if it was ever assigned to a service branch and to which--L Air, H Army, M Navy. The L and M should be worth a premium, vast majority were sent to the Army.
    quit doing that in 1941 at least at mauser oberndorf should have just an Eagle/135 acceptance on the stock...Stock is a subcontract stock not made by mauser oberndorf that is why it is in standard configuration not semi-kreigsmodell or full kreigsmodell, I AM MAKING A CORRECTION AS I MADE A MISTAKE IN THIS POST...The stock was diverted from gustloff (BCD code) production late in 44/early 45, I missed the C mark..It was not made by jp sauer, although they did send stocks to mauser oberndorf also...You probably would have been better off by NOT adding anything to the stock after you stripped the shellac, just my opinion as there is more damage done removing a non original finish and then adding one that is not period correct such as lemon oil and tom's 1/3 mix or whatever it's called
    Last edited by rockisle1903; 07-06-2015 at 11:06.

I was not aware of that, explains my two byf's, a 42 & 44.