Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

the OPS are correct.. i didnt see them right in the first picture.. everyone misses now and then...
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

2. Default

http://www.rockler.com/transtintreg-dyes

are the way to go, water base and they have a nice color wheel that make mixing easy
    liberum aeternum

3. Default

I remember some time ago that Vulch used Logwood stain and BLO after on his stock.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phil McGrath View Post
    I remember some time ago that Vulch used Logwood stain and BLO after on his stock.
    Vulch? wasn't he the Aussie that had a job transfer and we never heard from him again?

I think Marine A5 sniper came up with some logwood stain too.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

5. Default

Alkanet Root is a plant which chemically reacts with Walnut to give a reddish tint. Pilkington (?) may have a product which contains it. Not sure where to get the raw stuff anymore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Alkanet Root is a plant which chemically reacts with Walnut to give a reddish tint. Pilkington (?) may have a product which contains it. Not sure where to get the raw stuff anymore.
    I thought the red tint came from decades of oxygen and uv ray exposure.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    Vulch? wasn't he the Aussie that had a job transfer and we never heard from him again?
    IDK, but I remember the stock he did and it looked like he used a time machine too back too get it.

Blog Entries

I'm sure his discussion here are long lost, but I found him talking about the logwood on gunboards.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-Logwood-stain
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    {snip}
    I think Marine A5 sniper came up with some logwood stain too.
    Thats my recollection too.

Blog Entries

Chestnut ridge is my elixir of choice.

http://www.chestnutridge.com/images/inv/MAWAL1.asp
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)