Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Minelli Stock is crazy light in color

Got the Minelli stock and began the process of Tung oiling and preparing it for use. When I received it it was dry and raw feeling and color wise it was on the light side.. It was nearly the same shade as my Springfield M1 and had a kind of translucent greenish cast to it. I thought it would darken after a couple of coats of Tung oil, but it's still pretty light. I came up with a hand guard that I thought would match and as you can see in the pic it seems to do so. However get it under artificial light the hand guard goes deep dark walnut (as expected) especially after I coated both with Tung oil. I'm not sure if I should sand it all back and then stain the stock so it matches or leave it .

2015-06-29 17.39.06.jpg

I'm kind of wondering what species of walnut Menilli is using. My handguard is USGI NOS and I'm not surprised it went walnut brown under artificial light, but I'm suprised the stock didn't do the same..

Italian walnut is known to be lighter then American walnut..
    they are going through some changes right now. im helping with them making a repro grasping groove stock..
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

3. Default

Try some different stains, use the inside of the barrel channel and test the colors to find what you like. Your picture shows some nice grain! How does the rifle fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Salt Lake View Post
    Try some different stains, use the inside of the barrel channel and test the colors to find what you like. Your picture shows some nice grain! How does the rifle fit?
    Haven't set the rifle in the stock yet. I wan to get the color right and get it sealed up with some tung oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Salt Lake View Post
    Tried chemically stripping the Tung and then hitting it with some dark walnut stain. I'm hoping it works . I've left the handgaurd alone after a couple coats of tung as it's dark enough..

Quote Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
    Italian walnut is known to be lighter then American walnut..
    they are going through some changes right now. im helping with them making a repro grasping groove stock..
    Can you talk them into a different kind of walnut? A little late for me, but it might help the next guy..
    Last edited by John L. Lucci; 06-30-2015 at 11:10.

"Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

not sure an Italian company would use anything but Italian walnut... most of what iv seen has been outstanding, however.
    i strip, base stain, and finish..all they put is a light stain sealer on the wood.
    some citra strip wood work great on that stock.. hot water and a SOS pad.. let dry in the shade. and stain with red based stain.

FYI: your stock bolts and nuts are in backwards...

Quote Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
    not sure an Italian company would use anything but Italian walnut... most of what iv seen has been outstanding, however.
    i strip, base stain, and finish..all they put is a light stain sealer on the wood.
    some citra strip wood work great on that stock.. hot water and a SOS pad.. let dry in the shade. and stain with red based stain.
    Went with some Minwax Dark Walnut and it's now much improved.. Still a little light after two coats but I can live with it..2015-07-01 10.45.29.jpg
    Last edited by John L. Lucci; 07-01-2015 at 08:47.