Thread: first krag

Default first krag

just got a very clean 1898 rifle, ser no 115435 could someone do a srs check for me.
    thanks much kurt

Welcome to the wonderful world of Krags! Beware... they tend to multiply.

Any chance of posting some pictures? We'd love to see it!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

wish I could but I'm lost when it comes to fancy computer stuff, besides I'm on dialup very very slow.

No hit 115465 closest.

'k arga': #115435 does not show up in the 'Tables of known Krags' that Frank Mallory put in his second edition of "The Krag Rifle Story". Your Krag was likely assembled around August, 1898, and would be a fairly early Model 1898. I am assuming your Krag is an Infantry Rifle. #s 115368 & 115468 were rifles issued in 1898 to the 31st Michigan Vol. Inf. and #115459 (the closest to your number) was issued in 1899 to the 1st Terr. USV Inf.

However, close does not mean much. The Krag receivers were numbered prior to assembly. Krags were not assembled, accepted for service, or issued in numerical order.

6. Default

Pictures please?
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

dlg-knoxville3.jpgDLG-Daufuskie-isle1899.jpgDLG-Daufuskie-edit.jpgcorp.fredlynd-31stMi.jpg

FWIW - Some model 1898 Krag rifles, close to 'k arga's serial number (115435), were issued to the 31st Michigan Vol. Inf. (A significant part of this regiment consisted of men from the Detroit Light Guard). This regiment missed the Cuba campaign and languished at Chickamauga, Ga. The 31st Mich. eventually was moved to Camp Poland (Knoxville, Tennessee) to a healthier environment, from August, 1898 to January, 1899. The regiment was issued Krags prior to being sent to Cuba, for peace-keeping duties, February 1, 1899. The regiment was still armed with Krags on their return to the U.S. They were quarantined, April 16, 1899, on Daufuskie Island, near Savannah, Ga.

Attached photos show: 1. Corporal Fred Lynd, 31st. Mich. at Camp Poland. 2. Members of the 31st. Mich., apparently at target ranges they set up in December, 1898, near Knoxville, Tenn. 3. #1st. Mich. on Daufuskie Island, April 16, 1899.

It's neat to think some of the Krags in these photos were produced at the same time as 'k arga's. However, his number not being in the SRS data makes it unlikely it was issued to the 31st. Michigan.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 06-26-2015 at 10:06.

thanks for all the info, now if I can only find some brass.
    kurt

Try your local gun store, it's NOT unobtanium.
    If they don't have it on the shelf, they can certainly get it for you