Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The fragile Remington-Lee was greatly modified and improved by the British. The Lee-Metford / Lee-Enfield's robust two-piece stock and substantial bolt-retention, along with other gradual refinements, evolved into a family of great battle rifles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 08-23-2015 at 09:09.

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    The fragile Remington-Lee was greatly modified and improved by the British. The Lee-Metford / Lee-Enfield's robust two-piece stock and substantial bolt-retention, along with other gradual refinements, evolved into a family of great battle rifles.
    As a Remington-Lee owner and shooter I've got to agree. The Remington-Lee was just not ready for prime time as a battle rifle. A more robust design, with simplified bolt/extractor/ejector and a decent positive safety, especially if Remington had brought it out before 1890, could have walked off with a lot of Paul Mauser's customers. And that's my opinion for what it is worth.

jn

'jon' - Which Remington-Lee do you own and shoot (and do you still have your Argentine Rolling-Block)?

The Detroit Naval Reserves were using .45-70 caliber Remington-Lees in 1895 and the Michigan National Guard had a brief history with the model 1899 Remington-Lee, in .30-40 U.S.Army (until they went Krag-Jorgensen, around 1903).

I started my collecting with Lee-Enfields and being a Michigan Boy, I always was curious about the Remington-Lees and Sharp's Borchardts (used by Ancestors)!

(p.s. The Detroit Naval Reserve Sailors have their Lee magazines removed - Memorial Day 1895 / Campus Martius - Detroit. The Mich. N.G troops are at annual encampment, "Camp Bliss" - Manistee, Michigan 1900. NCOs have Krags and enlisted men have model 1899 Remington-Lees).

dlg-1882e.jpgDet-sailors-1895-e5.jpgDet-sailors-1895-e1a.jpgMST-1900-Manistee.jpgMNG-edit.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 08-24-2015 at 05:35.

BR,

I have a 30-40, one of the 1895 rifles. When I got it it had been sporterized. The chamber was all wrong, I complained to Ron Petersen in Albq who sold it to me, and he had Jim Bedeaux et fils arquebusiers make it right. Beginning of a long relationship with them, great gunsmiths and they respect old guns. I use .308 loads in that rifle. Not max, but way over what I would run through a Krag. The good part is it is light and comes up to the shoulder like an expensive shotgun. Bad news is it has a half-cock safety you gotta bring the gun down and pull back on the Johnson rod. Too slow for elk hunting.

My current Argy is one my dad had rebaRRELLED TO .44 mag. I had Roy Bedeaux cut a new barrel in 45=70. It has Whitworth type rifling and just eats up BP fouling. My brother has a long rifle in .43 and a cutdown in .444 marlin. Those are our backup guns elk hunting.

The Argy I had when I was a kid, I left it with a "friend" when I went back east and the SOB sold it. It was really nice, had a marbles tang sight. May he rot in hell. FWIW my brother got with his ex-wife and all she could talk about was how small his johnson was. But when I catch up to him ...

jn

I keep thinking I need to have a Rolling-Block carbine or rifle in .43 Spanish (and the Argentine RBs usually have the best bores).

I made the mistake in the past of selling a U.S. Naval (.50-45) carbine that was rough, but correct and fun to plink with, an accurate Danish RB rifle, and a U.S. model 1871 .50-70 rifle. I once had a near mint, WW1 French contract, Remington RB in 8mm Lebel (with saber bayonet & sling), that I wish I had back.

I always have thought highly of Rolling-Blocks. I still have a model 4 (.22 cal.) and a No. 5 (7mm) with mint bores, that are great fun to shoot. I guess I better get to the Range in the next couple of days!

RR4-1.JPGRemRB-7mm.JPG
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 08-25-2015 at 08:18.

The .43 Spanish is a great round. Lighter bullet and more powder than the 45-70. It is for all intents and purposes the same round as the 44-77 bottleneck. All the Argies got their pores broached when they were refurbed and they seem to like a larger diameter bullet than the original .439". The biggest issue with the .43 is the brass. Buffalo Arms has it but it is not cheap. OTOH it should last forever if you take care of it.

jn

'jon' - Thanks for sharing your knowledge and insights on the Argentine Rolling-Blocks. I am seriously considering one as a 'shooter'.

I guess the 'Holy Grail' of Rolling-Blocks might be the Brevet Remington made by Nagant (under license) in Liege, Belgium, for the Vatican. These were chambered for the 12mm Remington "Pontificio" and issued to Swiss Guards and Papal Zouaves.

A very few apparently have made their way to the U.S., via Ethiopia. Some still reside in the Vatican Armory. I'm not holding my breath for a 'Vatican Garage-Sale' !

Papal RB2.jpgSwiss-vatican-ed.jpgPapal RB6.jpgPapal Zouave1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 08-25-2015 at 05:05.

For me, the holy grail RB would be an SA 1870 Trials carbine. Just over 300 made; less than 20 known. And, while I am fantasizing - a Sharps carbine from the same trials would be nice, same number made, ZERO known.

I'd love to have one of these instructional 'scarves' !

RRB-cloth3.jpg

Papal rolling blocks! And in the Pope's own .50 caliber. Now I gotta have one. Wonder if they made any carbines?

jn