Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1944 Garand for Sale Question

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1944 M1 that is supposedly all original, correct and looks to be fired very little. This is not a rework or arsenal refinish. It is from a very well known dealer. I've seen it and it looks "cherry". TE and ME are 1.5 or less.

We haven't talked price yet -- what would you guys estimate this would be worth? I'm
    thinking he wants big bucks as in $8K or more. What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Josephic View Post
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 1944 M1 that is supposedly all original, correct and looks to be fired very little. This is not a rework or arsenal refinish. It is from a very well known dealer. I've seen it and it looks "cherry". TE and ME are 1.5 or less.

We haven't talked price yet -- what would you guys estimate this would be worth? I'm
    thinking he wants big bucks as in $8K or more. What say you?
    Who is this so called well known dealer? Many dont know what a correct Garand is let alone a Original

Any chance of posting pictures? I'm not saying the well known dealer would be dishonest, but there are many out there who would... and would say or do anything to drive up a price to the point of ridiculous (such as faking an 1898 Krag Carbine and selling it for an astronomical amount to an unsuspecting person who doesn't know what to look for).
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Eight big ones is too high in my book unless there is absolute providence in writing. It would have to be a really special rifle other than just pristine. Alot of folks can put together a rifle that mirrors factory new. I recently sold my 1944 Winchester garand that looked like it just left the assembly line, but, was put together with matching/correct parts. Got $1000 for it.

Yeah walk away from that one. The last original 1944 SA I sold, I got I think $2500 or $3000 out of it. And it was not a pieced together rifle and it looked like it rolled off the assembly line yesterday.

And I think the market is a little softer now than even when I sold it at that price above. I sort of imagine I would get $2000-2500 for it now.

6. Default

With the economy in decline, ALL collectibles are going to drop in price. Keep that in mind when purchasing, and if you really want to sell something, I would not wait much longer. CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Some dealer's about to have a great summer cruise.

Thanks guys for your opinions. I much appreciate it.

All original parts??? Depends on your definition of original, original SA parts or original parts specific to that rifle when it left the factory? The latter is not likely.

I've read that during cleaning, many Garands were taken apart and the parts of many Garands put into a common container of solvent. No efforts were made to put back original parts to the original rifle.

99.9% of Garands after WWII underwent some sort of refurbishment. This means that the likelyhood of that rifle being original is 1 out of a thousand. Math experts, correct me if my numbers are wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't numbers on Garand parts assembly numbers, not serial numbers? If that's correct, then there can not be a Garand with all matching numbers which would make it impossible to determine if a Garand were all original.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo