Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Trimmer

Default Power Trimmer

Looking to purchase a power trimmer to do 30-06,308, &.223. Looked at some at the big box outfitters & not impressed with the quality.
    Any Ideas????
    Thanx
    Chuck

Hi M1CHAZZ,

Have you considered using the Lee trimmers? They are fool proof in their design, and the shell holder can be mounted in a drill making it a power trimmer (or used by hand for light trimming). You would purchase the shell holder base and cutter (one package) for under $10, and then the mandrel/holder set for each particular cartridge, which are usually under $7. You can order them from Midway or Cheaper than Dirt, and have em within a week! I've been using them for years, and never had a problem... and they make light work of the trimming. You'll also need a chamfer tool, which runs just a few dollars.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

If you have a lot of cases to trim, get the Dillon trimmer with the trim die for the case. I've set up a single stage press just for trimming but I do several hundred cases at a time.

4. Default

I just got one of these for .308: http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri%20Way%20Trimmer.htm They're caliber specific but very fast if you've got a lot of cases to trim. They deburr and chamfer at the same time. Giraud has made a stand alone trimmer for years and came out with these recently. I use a Dillon power trimmer for .223 and get around the deburr and chamfer step by using it in my Dillon 650 press with another sizing die installed after the trimmer. That die's job is not to size the case (already done) but to use the expander ball to pull any trim flash from the inside of the case mouth. Then I clean the cases in a rotary tumbler with stainless steel media. The steel media knocks any trim flash from the outside of the case neck.

5. Default

I have had a Giraud Power Trimmer for years. I have eight different calibers that I use it for.
    Once the setup up process is done you merely screw in the correct dies to go from one caliber
    to the other. I also have the Meplat trimmer kits which I like a lot also. Great company with friendly
    knowledgeable folks on the phone. One of the best gun related items I ever bought.
    Semper Fi

Jim. and wc...

guys you both have the original Giraud trimmer........ if you look on their website they have a new less expensive trimmer set up..........could either or both of you boys look at these & tell me if they'll be a good alternative for someone needing to watch pennies? I don't mind spending money on durable, well made gear...but at the same time... if I can get comparable results with a less expensive substitute.. heck I'm game... losing some of the high volume capacity of the original is something I can live with........

Thanks
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Hi M1CHAZZ,

Have you considered using the Lee trimmers? They are fool proof in their design, and the shell holder can be mounted in a drill making it a power trimmer (or used by hand for light trimming). You would purchase the shell holder base and cutter (one package) for under $10, and then the mandrel/holder set for each particular cartridge, which are usually under $7. You can order them from Midway or Cheaper than Dirt, and have em within a week! I've been using them for years, and never had a problem... and they make light work of the trimming. You'll also need a chamfer tool, which runs just a few dollars.
    I use the Lee trimmers in an electric drill motor chucked up in work bench vise. I can zip through cases very quickly. Once the trimming is done I de-burr with the little RCBS hand tool.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by da gimp View Post
    Jim. and wc...

guys you both have the original Giraud trimmer........ if you look on their website they have a new less expensive trimmer set up..........could either or both of you boys look at these & tell me if they'll be a good alternative for someone needing to watch pennies? I don't mind spending money on durable, well made gear...but at the same time... if I can get comparable results with a less expensive substitute.. heck I'm game... losing some of the high volume capacity of the original is something I can live with........

Thanks
    That's what I bought, look at the link in my post above. You supply your own drill or electric motor. They still trim, chamfer, and deburr but you can't changer calibers. You need to buy a separate tool for each caliber. Mine works great and I use my Dillon trimmer for .223 and .30-06, my other high volume calibers. You need to spend some time figuring out the ergonomics to come up with a setup that works well and comfortably. 100 cases takes a few minutes, I used an electric drill mounted in a bench vise to do my first batch. I've got an old electric typewriter motor with a shaft that will take a drill chuck and I'm looking at using that in a more permanent and ergonomic setup.

I made my own power trimmer using a 'hand crank' Lyman case trimmer. I removed the manual crank handle, inserted a threaded stud, and use a cordless drill to power the trimmer head. Works very well and fast to use.

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    If you have a lot of cases to trim, get the Dillon trimmer with the trim die for the case. I've set up a single stage press just for trimming but I do several hundred cases at a time.

The Dillon works great... if you know what you are doing. I carefully read the instructions and it was an easy set up, or so I thought. I took my already sized 5.56 brass and used a Dillon cartridge headspace gauge to pick the ones that needed trimming, then set the OAL to get exactly the proper length. What I didn't realize, and what I didn't see anywhere in the instructions, was that I was not only trimming I was also resizing the brass as well. I loaded 1,000 rounds that that were dangerously out of spec. My life and/or my eyesight was saved because the first round separated at the shoulder leaving the neck in the chamber so the next round could not chamber.

Be careful, there are surprises out there.
    Last edited by RED; 07-10-2015 at 12:02.